Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trying to identify eugenia tree

Posted by jacqueline3 9CA (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 11, 11 at 14:17

I live in the SF Bay area in No CAL. We have two trees on our property that I have always been told were "eugenia trees". The oldest one is at least 90 years old (we have old family pictures of it as a baby). Both of them are at least 50 feet high, and about 25-30 feet wide. They are evergreen and have small dark pink berries. I am trying to figure out what kind of eugenia they are.

I tried to google them. The only pictures I found where the leaves, etc. looked right were called "eugenia ventenati", but all of them showed hedges or small standards, or topiaries. No large trees.

I have seen trees like mine growing in other places in our town, so I don't think they can be that rare.

Does anyone have any advice as to where I can look up info on my trees? Thanks so much for your help -

Jackie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trying to identify eugenia tree

how about you post some pix here.. and let the gurus of GW help you ... check out the link

how can we refer you to a site based on an un-named plant???

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o
RE: trying to identify eugenia tree

Ken - good idea, I will do that. I know how to post pics, but it is pouring down rain today, so I didn't want to go out and take any, but I will tomorrow or the next day when this deluge stops (not complaining - this is only the second rain storm we have had since the end of June!).

Jackie

o
RE: trying to identify eugenia (?) tree

I was wondering if anyone knew what tree this is? We live in Malaysia...if that helps a little. The leaves are green but they get reddish when in contact with the sun. It has recently started blooming these nice red flowers. My mother seems to think it's Eugenia but all the Eugenia's I've googled don't look like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here