Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allergyvictim

Can I grow Magnolia tree from a branch

allergyvictim
9 years ago

I love this type of Magnolia, It reminds of my destroyed home country Syria,
but I have not seen it in nurseries in California,I think the common one here is called the Southern California, I stumbled in to this tree at font yard of a house when I was lost, I knocked at the door of the owner, she was nice enough to cut a branch,she said her mom brought it from Japan 30 years ago .
I have had in it water for about 3 days, waiting for it to grow roots but I thought of getting your advice, I really don`t want to lose it .
Thanks for your help !

Comments (13)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I think you'll find that is Ficus elastica, Rubber Plant, rather than a Magnolia. If my id is correct. yes, they are easy to grow from cuttings. Google for instructions. You could get at least 6 plants from that branch.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

I agree with floral - that's a ficus, not a magnolia. A common enough landscape plant in SoCal. And relatively easy to grow from cuttings (but not an entire branch!).

• allergyvictim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much Floarl uk, Gardgal48 for the information, sorry for my poor knowledge about this plant

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Allergy, if you are interested in taking stem cuttings of the Ficus, it looks like there is plenty in that branch to make a few. Do a little reading on the proper way to take cuttings and perhaps you'll have some good luck.

Ficus elastica (rubber plant is the common name) is a relatively common houseplant. Look for it in the garden center section of such places like Home Depot, WalMart, and your local garden center.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

"...but not an entire branch!"

Actually, this species is easily propagated from such large cuttings (usually called truncheons). I bet if you google it, you'll turn up lots of results.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Interestingly, I could turn up no hits on Google of propagating Ficus elastica by truncheons. Other species of fig were referred to in this manner, but only air layering and tip cuttings were referenced for propagation techniques for this particular species.

Why would that be?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

"Why would that be?"

I'm thinking maybe you didn't look very hard? ...and I'll resist the temptation to speculate further. (-:

Here's one example where they are talking about growing 12' truncheons: one example. Here's one saying that truncheons are much more successful than smaller cuttings: another example. And, that was just the tip of the iceberg.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

Commercially, at least in the tropical greenhouse business, it's not as economical to grow truncheons (because you have to start out with a large cutting to begin with). But, for propagating a single cutting, a truncheon may be the way to go for certain plants (including this one). You're likely to get a higher take rate and you end up with a larger plant, more quickly.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Tip of the iceberg?? That's a bit gratuitous, as is the rest of your comment. Both the sources you cite are rather dated to say the least........1906? Surprisingly, they are the only sources I found after considerable searching that referenced this method. Anything remotely current suggested propagation by tip cuttings (relatively easy) or air layering (more complicated).

Not saying it can't be done - just that your allusion to it being commonplace is a bit overstated. And hardly helpful to the OP when it was a magnolia that was the desired plant (doubt Syria offers much of a climate for rainforest species).

• allergyvictim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gardengal48, the plant in the pic is the one I am interested in, I just didn`t know what is called .
    Rhizo ,I don`t remember seeing it in any nursery I visited .
    Here is a link to a video on how to propagate this plant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjpmBzMUl9k

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

"Interestingly, I could turn up no hits on Google of propagating Ficus elastica by truncheons."..."Surprisingly, they are the only sources I found after considerable searching that referenced this method."

The extent of your research must be reading my posts. LOL

"Both the sources you cite are rather dated to say the least."

Growing things from cuttings and truncheons isn't really a state-of-the-art, high-tech type of thing. I can't see how the dates matter, but there is more current stuff equally as easy to find.

Allergyvictim, this is a pretty common houseplant. You can probably find it at many of the big-box type stores in the area where they sell indoor plants (at least that's the case around here in Tennessee).

• Terry Dudek
    6 years ago
    can I grow a magnolia tree from a branch