Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zelkova or London Plane

Posted by Emund 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 15:18

I'm seeking some advice on which tree to plant. I'm considering either a Zelkova (not a cultivar from my understanding) or a London Plane tree in the corner of my backyard on a hill to screen out a new neighbor behind me. The soil is moist (there is a nearby natural spring) and more sandy than clay with the area getting late afternoon shade. Fall color is not a major consideration to me, but leaf retention and low maintenance are somewhat important, as is growth since I'll be planting a small tree (a bare root London Plane or small container Zelkova).

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zelkova or London Plane

I can certainly understand wanting to block out the neighbors athough I'm not sure about your choices to do it with.

Zelkova: While it would certainly block out the neighbors with its dense crown, I'm a little concerned on how it would react with the wetness of the nearby natural spring.

Planetree: This tree would definitely grow well on your site but as a tree in general, it is less desirable. It produces much litter and is susceptible to many leaf ailments that may cause it to have leaf retention problems. Also, this tree will get huge, up to 80' tall and almost as wide, so I'm not sure if you have a large enough area for it to grow.

I personally would not plant either of these trees but instead would go with a Metasequoia. This tree will take the soil very well and should be dense enough to block out the neighbors. Like your choices, it will grow fast but arguably faster as it could grow up to 7' a year to about 70' tall and 25' wide. It also will have branches lower to the ground to provide a more complete screen.

Whatever you choice, keep in mind your new tree will need time to grow before it actually begins to do what you have intended, which is to provide privacy. You may start with a slightly more advanced specimen if you are looking for a quicker screen.

o

but leaf retention and low maintenance are somewhat important,

==arent zelkova, sycamore and dawn redwood all deciduous???

it would help to know where you are .... z5 is an awful big and diverse area ...

what about some thuja green giants ...

dont forget about the conifer forum ...

ken

o
RE: the fastest tree i have

though again.. deciduous ... is Larix gmelinii var. olgensis .. in pure mineral sand ...

with its dense branching .. even nudey ... its 60 % blocking in sight line ...

i have no clue if you can find it ...

i got mine from gee tree ...

its grafting season ... if you can find a grafter with understock .. you could have one by next fall ..

i dont know about its water tolerances.. but my gut tells me.. it would work ...

ken

o

How about a large oak that retains its leaves until spring. Scarlet oak, Quercus coccina (no doubt spelled wrong on my cell) might be an option if not for the dampness. My neighbor has a huge Burr oak, Quercus macrocarpa near the low spot of the hill we are both on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here