Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

Nanjing Beauty hybrid Taxodium in z7/Maryland

hairmetal4ever
10 years ago

Would the Najing Beauty Taxodium hybrid survive and grow well in my climate (DC/Baltimore area)?

What about straight Montezuma?

Comments (11)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

The straight MC from northeast Texas once saw 0*F weather with no apparent damage back in 1980s. That's my seed source for that reason plus consistent better form compared to others. I might go there in a couple weeks to collect cones and explore arboretum.

I've seen zone 6 for Nanjing Beauty. I think the other hybrids (T-406 and T-407) look better though. It might be a while before they are available for sale online. They're being trialed in various places. 406 and 407 sure grew a lot in their first year (over 4 ft).

Here is a link that might be useful: Nanjiing Beauty

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can't find this or the other two hybrids anywhere - Botany Shop and Almost Eden did carry Nanjing Beauty, but both have said "out of stock" for quite some time.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

Only NB is available for sale online. You'd have to drive all the way to SFA to get other hybrids.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lou - bumping this thread because Camellia Forest is now carrying one they call 'Banita' - is this one of the other clones you were aware of?

Here is a link that might be useful: Taxodium x 'Banita'

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ohand did you ever get seeds from the straight MC that survived 0F?

• ltruett
    9 years ago

Hairmetal

I wouldn't plant Nanjing. I have found it to be susceptible to disease and ends up dropping most of its needles because of it compared to the other hybrids I have planted. I think Banita is either 407 or 406 but I will find out. Both have grown well for me and are still green at the moment.

• ltruett
    9 years ago

I checked and the hybrid is T502. I like this one too. Not as fast a grower so far compared to 407 and 406 but looks good and is still green in December.

• ltruett
    9 years ago

Hairmetal

I have a lot of MC seed from seedlings from the MC at SFA. Lou and I also collected seed from some of the hybrids when we were up there recently though I don't remember which ones. I have four seedlings growing from 502 and one from 405 from seed that I collected off my hybrids.

This post was edited by ltruett on Sun, Dec 14, 14 at 21:18

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If you would want to part with seed let me know and I would be interested. Either MC or hybrid.

I'm a cold zone 7 and we did hit zero to slightly below last winter a couple times, however.

• ltruett
    9 years ago

Hairmetal

Give me your info and I'll mail some seed to you.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Conifer hybrids are rare but if you look at the Leylands & related hybrids, they seem to take after the hardier parent in that respect. The supposedly more tender "Cupressus X ovensii" did absolutely fine for me this winter; not 10 miles away as the crow flies you started to see typical leylands in open fields were damaged. I myself would have no concerns about these MC X BC hybrids in the DC area.