Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Evergreens that top out around 20-25'?

Posted by decho northern CA (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 16:26

Hello,

I'm in the process of landscaping my yard, and trying to decide which trees to use. I'm limited in size due to the lot layout and neighboring houses. I'm planning on using a Xylosma Congestum in tree form in one corner, and have spaces for two slightly larger trees in the other corners. I've wanted to go with the Saratoga Bay Laurel, but worry about it becoming too large. Characteristics I'm going for are evergreen, no fruit, little flowering/bee attraction. If anyone has any good suggestions I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Evergreens that top out around 20-25'?

Perhaps Spartan Juniper might fit the bill? Relatively narrow, drought-resistant, nice color, and no serious pest. They appear to slow down somewhere around 15-20 feet tall.

What USDA hardiness zone are you located in?

This post was edited by thapranksta on Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 16:39

o

Thanks for the suggestion. I forgot to mention that I'm looking for a tree with a wider canopy, though. Hopefully enough to stretch out and shade a walkway and part of my patio. Something like 15' wide and 25' tall would be ideal

o

Are broadleaf evergreens a possibility? I thought I read of several imported evergreen oaks.

Just thinking outloud...Your size request sounds like some of the crepe myrtles I can grow but they are not evergreen. For single trunk and that size there are the largest of the japanese maples and some paperbark maples....

Holly acceptable? The Ilex family comes in different sizes. Most are pyramidal or so but I have seen some in limited light grown into a half vase shape.

o

Try the Japanese pines, especially the variety Pinus densiflora 'Umbraculifera' aka the Tanyosho pine. http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=b441

Many of the Japanese species have dwarf or umbrella variations.

Also, the Bristlecone pines and Pinyon pines will stay about 20 feet.

There are some Cyprus species that will form a more spreading tree than the familiar Italian Cyprus. There are varieties that will not exceed your limits.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 22:08

The only thing that has a fixed maximum height is bamboo. Nothing else "tops out".

o

I also thought about hollies toronado3800. I didn't recommend them because I forgot that male hollies actually produce no fruit. I can't speak on exactly how much bees and insects will be attracted to the flowers of the male plants. However, I have some female hollies (not sure of variety) in the front of my yard and when they flower, the bees CANNOT resist them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here