Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Close to Plant 'Chanticleer' pear Trees

Posted by mary_max Z 5 Utah (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 7, 07 at 16:27

I really would like to plant as close as possible, but not so close that the trees eventually die. Do you know how close these can be planted and not create a problem later in years. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Close to Plant 'Chanticleer' pear Trees

Look up what the mature size is and allow for sufficient space to allow them to reach that width without running into each other.

Here is a link that might be useful: 15 feet wide according to this site

o

That is a wonderful site! Thank you for sharing with me.

o

Research these trees further. I think the important thing is not to plant them at all.

o

While you are entitled to plant what you want to, if you look through the past posts on flowering pears, whether 'Cleveland' or 'Bradford', you will find that the most of the people here don't like them -- they are over-planted; they are very invasive, even the ones touted ans non-invasive; they do fall apart at about 12-20 years of age; the smell of the flowers is unpleasant to most people; and, personally, I don't like their shape. They are VERY pretty from a distance when in flower, they do usually have fall color, and they are easy to find. BUT, they are invasive! The 'Cleveland' cultivar is admittedly a little better tree that the 'Bradford'.

If you want a flowering tree for the spring flowers, a flowering crab apple, or even a member of the prunus family - plum, cherry, almond or peach - with all the ills they are prone to, would be a better choice, in the opinion of most members of the forum. Redbuds are also options, as are dogwoods, serviceberries, and deciduous magnolias, among others.

If you REALLY, REALLY HAVE TO HAVE THEM, OK.... There is an abandoned nursery planting near me of 'Bradfords', planted on about 6-8' centers, and now about 20-30' tall. The canopies are entirely grown together, and I have to admit to driving by in the spring to look at the mass of trees in flower - probably 100 all told, planted at the far edge of a hay field in 5-6 rows, so what you see is a row of about 20 trees. I rather think the center ones have little foliage until you get to the top of the trees.

o

They are really beautiful here in Texas. Quite impressive. I'd love a pear allee of them. I haven't seen them take over here in this area.

o

That's because they take over natural areas not in your neighborhood.

They are pretty trees but they are beautiful mickeymouse kmart trees.

o

Yes... a tree destined to look lovely for some years, then frequently prone to destruction.

Chanticleer is the name - Brittle is the game...

Look for others that look as nice, but are better.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here