Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet Tea Olive as Center Piece

Posted by snasxs 7-8 VA (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 8, 09 at 16:28

Do you notice the unusual design of this garden?
The center piece is a Sweet Tea Olive "Fodingzhu". You do not see any blooms but the fragrance dominated the garden. The beauty and the tranquility of this place is transcendental. It is one of those places that I will never forget.

Osmanthus Fragrans sweet tea olive

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet Tea Olive as Center Piece

Just a clarification, this is Osmanthus fragrans 'Fudingzhu', a very large and beautiful specimen indeed. When I had my landscape design business I'd try to put a sweet olive in every yard I did, as the fragrance is so fine IMHO.

Dan

o

What a handsome display. I'm sure the fragrance was awesome. Despite my love of native plants, this species is one that I had to have as well.

Thanks for sharing your picture.

o

Wow. That is a big one. May have to reconsider about the spot where 'Fudinghzhu' is. Mine is only 2.5 feet tall.

How old is it? I understand that some can be hundreds of years old. There's one that's 2,000 years old, I think.

o

Yes, this genus is one amongst ~a dozen that I wish I could grow here and makes me miss the west coast of the U.S. And boy, do I wish I could have a specimen like that in the yard. Thank you, snasxs, for the fine pic.

Dan

o

Yup, it is a big one. Purchased at an auction , it is in the garden for 5 years now. The price is like really expensive.

o

Mr. thegenerator,
I am sorry to hear that your tree has passed away. Please do not feel sad for your loss. See mine and I am happy to share the tree's perfume.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here