Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fjbilly_gw

requesting recommendations for my topped tree

FJBilly
9 years ago

Hello, first time poster here. I inherited a tree that has already been topped when I purchased my house a few years ago. the tree seems healthy, but I do have some concerns.
- I'm afraid the increased foliage in the crown has added an unsafe weight.
-A large branch was broken in the last storm and I found much of the center of the branch was rotten.
-There are many woodpecker holes in the upper trunk
-there's also remnants of a nails from a tree house long ago.
I like the tree and the shade it provides in the hot summer months, so I'd like to keep it if at all possible.

I've found this and intend on going this route, but would like to run it past you all first.

http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/woody/topped.shtml

Comments (7)

• FJBilly
    Original Author
    9 years ago

having trouble posting more pics image too large. more on their way.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

it has to go ... but take a deep breath .. lol ... when is the question ...

first thing you do.. is plant two more trees ... out 10 or 15 feet from the edge of the canopy..

and start growing some new shade ...

i dont understand the power lines in regard to the tree ... most likely the reason for the first topping ... and the reason its going to be topped again ... if it were me... contact the power company ... and ask them if they would take it all down completely ... and BTW.. when planting your new ones.. DONT PLANT THEM UNDER THE POWER LINES... crikey ...

now.. if they are your power lines ... your responsibility... then its time to get rid of the tree ...

i would say.. that it should be gone within 3 to 5 years.. or immediately after it drops another large branch ...

i did not read your link .. IMHO... you dont have a tree worth 'saving' .. unless you just want to put some tree trimmers kid thru college ... or make his boat payment ...

if there is any chance.. due to normal winds.. that this thing can drop on yoru house ... i would cut it down to removal within a year or two ..

get the new ones planted...

i will check back for your other pix... but i doubt i will change my mind ....

good luck...

ken ... whose mom just had a maple tree take out half her house ... God i hate maples ...

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

I'm not at all sure it has to go. I would consult with a certified arborist that does hazard tree assessments and see what they might say about the rot, if any still remains, and the long term prognosis. And I think the judicious removal of a structural branch or two and thinning out the canopy could make this tree viable for at least the forseeable future, provided the rot does not remain an issue. If the arborist can't do that himself, I'm sure he can recommend someone who can. Some times those hazard guys specialize in just that, at least they do in my area.

ken tends to get a little excited about large trees in proximity to structures.......not always a concern if the tree is healthy. He'd have a panic attack up here in the northwest!!

• FJBilly
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I figured the tree would eventually have to go. So with that, I guess it wouldn't hurt to much if I trimmed it until then. Or maybe just top it again to buy time for new trees to grow. The power company has offered in the past to remove it so at least I have a cheap backup plan. I'll look into finding an arborist in my area and ask their opinion before anything. I will keep checking in and post and update of the fate of my tree.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Yes that was very poorly cut back at one time.

Use the "html" link in photobucket and just copy/paste the code into a message to post multiple photos in one post.

The power company has offered in the past to remove it so at least I have a cheap backup plan.

That could save you thousands. I would do that.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource