Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
latini

Small tree that tolerates shade

MK
9 years ago

I'm looking for suggestions regarding this small shady spot. I put a watering can in the picture to give you some idea of scale. Bed depth is no more than 4 feet wide. I would like to put something tall in the corner, would a Japanese maple work, do you think? If not, do you have any suggestions of a tree that likes full shade nearly year round?

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

is that a sidewalk... or a driveway ... whats that door back under there????

how will you deal with a tree interfering with either????

does the sun EVER hit the stone work ...

how deep is the bed behind the can ... you dont have much space for a root mass of any size ...

what about a trellis and some vines.. like clematis.. or any of the more exotic available for your zone????

to my eye.. that gorgeous stone is screaming for some green ... but not a tree ... in any sense ...

perhaps if you gave us a pic of the greater area... we can come up with some other alternatives...

ken

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

That's not exactly full shade - full shade is created by some sort of overhang (roof, wide eaves, any overhead structure, tree canopy etc.). That looks more like indirect light (no direct sunlight), which can be quite bright, depending on any reflected light and exposure.

You need something tall and narrow. A clumping bamboo could work. A columnar evergreen, like Ilex crenata 'Sky Pencil' or 'Mariesii' (very slow growing - buy large). Columnar Japanese plum yew (Cephalotaxus harringtonia âÂÂFastigiataâÂÂ), 'Graham Blandy' or 'Dee Runk' boxwood, Taxus baccata 'Stricta' or Taxus 'Beanpole'. Azara microphylla could work also if pruned periodically to keep spread within bounds.

All of these are pretty shade tolerant. Google the above and see what you like and what may be available in your area.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Why do you think you need a tree, or something tall, there?

• MK
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, it is a driveway. We have a very large driveway and the the door goes into the garage. I hadn't thought of a vine but I will give it some thought. I know I don't have much space for a tree (the bed depth is 4') and certainly don't want to have root disturbance since we just put in the driveway!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

More work involved, but I would espalier a Fall blooming camellia there. But that's me!

• sc77 (6b MA)
    9 years ago

My first choice would be Cercis canadensis 'Ruby Falls', but not sure if that can handle your z9. Since you mentioned Japanese maple, I'm thinking, maybe it can... If not, the already mentioned Cephalotaxus harringtonia âÂÂFastigiataâ is a great choice

• GrowerDon
    9 years ago

Consider an Espaliered Japanese Maple. I think it would look wonderful their and meet all your concerns.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Espaliered Japanese maple?? Oh, please no.....what an awful thing to do to those beautiful trees.

Find something that will work without having to exert all sort of contortions on the plant. Anything tall and narrow would suit the area well and if planted towards the back, would leave space for lower growing flowering accents.

• drrich2
    9 years ago

Would some of the upright dwarf conifers look good there? The wall has fairly strong straight lines; something a bit formal in form?

At a place I used to live, I planted 2 Golden Hinoki False Cypress trees (Chamaecyparis obtusa Verdoni - 30-36" size). I don't know what the closest equivalent would be for zone 9; I'm 6b, so I'm not sured to California conditions.

Richard.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks