Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsun9

Protect Small Tree from Deer?

I just planted a tiny 1' Linden tree at the back of my property line, far away from the house. Do you think deer would bother it? I cut the tree to a single stick or whip.

If deer would bother it, I'll have to place something like a wire case for it. It is too tiny even to wrap it.

Comments (3)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

I built small plastic or wire fences around my arbor day stick transplants. The deer seemed to leave them alone.

I get two kinds of deer attacks. One, they come by and munch some evergreen or something with foliage usually when there are not many other choices. Two, they come by to rub against smooth bark when a tree is my height or so and limbed up.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i use old Styrofoam rose cones... with the top CENTER cut off.. with two 3 foot electric wire stakes ... w/o the wire ... to hold them in place ...

i leave them there.. year around.... helps with rabbits also ... which is the bigger problem with small trees ... darn rats with cottontails ...

ken

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

I've taken to using tree tubes. Not to protect them from deer...to protect them from the lawn mower guy. However, they were designed to protect trees from deer.