Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking to transplant small Tulip Poplars, advice?

Posted by barefoot76 z7 VA (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 12, 07 at 18:07

Anyone have any advice as to timing, etc. for transplanting small 3'-6' Tulip Poplars? We're trying to begin 'reforesting' a couple of old farm fields and would like to help this process with about 20 transplants from other parts of the property.

Thanks as always.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking to transplant small Tulip Poplars, advice?

Water them well before digging to avoid having any root ball fall apart due to dryness. Put the freshly dug plant in a bag to transport it.

You could pre-dig the new holes first, that would help. This is a good time of year to do it. Keep them watered over the winter if it doesn't rain enough.

o

Esh, not claiming superior knowledge to your own here, but isn't tulip tree one that works better in spring? It being a magnolia family member, I was led to believe that this was the case. Or maybe that's just in more northerly climes like my own.

+oM

o

Yes, transplant this tree in the spring. You'll be glad you did.

o

Being in Georgia (zone 7), I dig up anything at any time and it all works fine. Perhaps in Virginia it would be better to wait, I don't really know.

o

Two articles from KY Cooperative Extension suggest that poplar should be transplanted after leaf fall in late fall. Here are links to the articles which contain lots of good suggestions for successful transplanting.

http://ces.ca.uky.edu/Grayson/anr/fallgoodtimetoplant.htm

http://ces.ca.uky.edu/lewis/anr/ANR News Articles.htm

o

I am in southeast texas and planted two 3' poplars back in May. One has since died and the other has about 5 suckers at the bottom. Can anyone give me some advice on how to keep this one alive? The top of the tree is dead. The only thing living now are the little suckers at the bottom. Are these trees normally hard to take care of or is my zone just too hot for them? I water every day (at least 2 gallons)?

o

You know, I see these recommendations about fall being a great time to plant trees & shrubs - and if they're container-grown or b&b specimens, I have no doubt that that's the case.
But, digging, bare-rooting, and transplanting seedlings may(or may not) be a very different proposition. I've also seen recommendations from folks I trust implicity that fall is NOT the ideal time to dig and transplant a number of species, like oaks/hickories/pecans.
I just don't know - but I'm gonna do a small-scale experiment this fall and transplant some sizeable oaks & pecans after leaf fall, in hopes that they can get a root system established before the summer drought season sets in, 'cause they'll be in a location where irrigation won't be a possibility.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here