Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much sun for Cleveland pear

Posted by dwpc 7 - N Arizona (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 18:14

I want to plant a two or three Clevelands for some fall color among the cedars and pinon pines surrounding the house. The best locations for them get about 6 hours of direct N Az sun a day in summer, perhaps 4 hours this time of years. Is this enough sunlight?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much sun for Cleveland pear

Just out of curiosity, why would you choose this tree??? As one poster recently commented, asking about planting callery pears here (or in any nature-related forum) is like going on a healthcare forum and asking for recommendations on the best brand of cigarettes. Callery pears may not be a big problem in Arizona (yet?), but they are still among the poorest of choices for trees, IMO.

o

In Arizona it is probably very elevation dependant. You mention trees though so I guess you are not in the plains of Phoenix or something.

In St Louis they want full sun but actually seem better if grown in some shade as it promotes a thinner canopy.

Better yet, just don't plant it please.

o

• Posted by dwpc 7 - N Arizona (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 0:09

I'm at 4500 ft in Zone 8a. Much cooler than Phoenix in summer and a moderately cold winter with snow. It was an apple-growing region a century ago..

o

Are you willing to hear other options for fall color? The Callery pears have become something of a scourge, escaping into areas where not welcome.

Do you know anything about your native soil type and pH? I'd really like to see this group of tree meisters help with alternatives for you than simply bash your choice. We're good at that, lol.

o

• Posted by dwpc 8a - N Arizona (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 22:57

I already have Clevelands ready to plant. My only issue with them is properly locating them for adequate sun. I know their negatives but ornamental tree selections are very limited hereabouts. The flowering pears are a popular yard and screen tree in the region and yet have not naturalized; probably too dry for them without irrigation. And there are no other callory pears closeby with which to cross-pollinate.

o

"And there are no other call(e)ry pears close by with which to cross-pollinate."

Ya missed Jurassic Park, didn't ya? Seriously though, that doesn't seem to stop them.

If you are going to plant them anyway, plant in the most full-sun spot you can. They are full-sun plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here