Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenputz

Burlap potted trees

gardenputz
10 years ago

I planted some potted Betula Negra river birch about 6 -8 weeks ago. They are about 4 feet tall,potted trees ordered on-line. Should I wrap them in burlap for the winter? Thanks

Comments (8)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

I would mulch them a bit.

Is the wrap for sun protection?

• gardenputz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've mulched, I'm thinking since the trees are so small they might need protection from the wind? The stem and branches have a really small diameter. They were shipped Via UPS from a farm in Oregon.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Protecting from the wind...no need, they are very hardy.

Only thing I'd worry about are rabbits. Even then it seems like its in the open so I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

they are trees.. not children ...

if zone appropriate ... they do not need to be snuggled in .. period ...

and they do not need those stakes.. EXCEPT to insure a real child.. or the idiot with the lawnmower [which would namely be me.. if they were in my yard.. lol] .. doesnt run them over ... in some mowing frenzy ... lol ...

a million question of how you planted them .. but you didnt ask back then.. that i recall ... so why worry about it now... as its too late to do anything about it .....

there is no reason ... to worry about them ... as i presume.. they are fully guaranteed ...

ken

• gardenputz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The stakes keep my dog and the neighbors from trampling them as they run around the yard. I didn't think they needed burlap but a well meaning mother in law (oxymoron) suggested it. I'll leave them be Thanks to all, Happy Thanksgiving!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

the tree should be all set ...

good luck with MIL .. lol ...

she is just talking.. encouraging you ... give her a gold star for not criticizing the choice .. etc ..... eh???

if it dies.. it wont be for lack of burlap .. in your zone ...

did they have time to properly harden off ... from OR to your house ... prior to going dormant???? or were they dormant ... leafless.. on arrival ???/

ken

• goren
    10 years ago

Winter wind is very dry.....drier than the Sahara...so when they confront the wind it can dry them out very quickly so....yes....protect them from the wind.
    But...do not put the burlap next to their wood...build a cage around them and wrap the burlap around that.
    Or, and it would be tacky....wrap their woody trunks with tree wrap.
    Protect them from the winter sun which, can warm their sides, causing sap to run--which then freezes....and splits their bark.
    Mulch their base but keep it away from their trunks.
    Mice love to nestle in and chew on the soft bark.

• gardenputz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They had a few leaves when they arrived. The leaves stayed on for a week or two after they were planted then we had a cold snap or two and the leaves fell off. How would I know if they hardened off? I have some anti desiccant I'll be applying to some Evergreens this weekend. Should I spray that on the trees?