Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wilsocn

Do you think this maple tree will survive transplanting? (pics)

wilsocn
12 years ago

I have posted a few times here seeking advice on transplanting maples from the woods behind my house to my yard (thanks to everyone that offered advice btw).

I thought today would be a good day to do it since the weather has turned warm again and nice weather has been forecast for the next few days. I had a nice little sugar maple all picked out that sits in the midst of a cedar thicket and I went to dig and immediately realized that it wasnt going to happen. Roots were completely blanketing the soil and I could barely get the shovel in. This little tree was about 3' tall.

So I went to option b - a nice little maple that sat in the woods in a clearing. It is about 80" tall but sort of lanky thanks to not receiving much sunlight so I thought I would be able to dig it up. This was my first time transplanting a tree and I guess I sort of screwed up a little bit. I ended up taking the tree out without any sort of root ball and not too many roots to speak of either. :(

Its planted now but I really don't have a clue if this little tree has a chance of making it or not. So I have a couple of questions: 1) does it have enough roots to have a decent shot at making it and 2)when will I know if it is going to die? Will it be next spring since it is entering dormancy now?

I did not let the roots get dry btw. It was exposed to open air for about 15 minutes I would say and I sprayed it down while it laid in the shade and I watered the hole pretty well. I sure hope it lives because it already looks really nice in the yard.

Thanks everyone

{{gwi:480800}}

{{gwi:480801}}

Comments (4)