Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thursdaymcgee

Help with Choosing Tree for Close to House

thursdaymcgee
9 years ago

We have a MASSIVE tree that is the only source of shade for that side of the house - but it was planted directly next to the house and we're worried about invasive roots. It currently shades the kids' bedroom as well as the entire back patio - but in addition to the roots being problematic, it reseeds like nothing I've ever seen, and our entire street is literally covered in saplings that grow like gangbusters. We'd like to replace it with something else, but we need something that will provide good shade without the roots becoming a major problem in the future. The old tree was planted maybe 4 feet from the house originally...but it's because there's maybe only 6-8 feet of room to plant anything.

The city gives out free trees, so this is our list of options:
http://www.cityplants.org/images/docs/tree_species_2014.pdf

We'd like something that will get quite tall without being too bushy (we roll out the trash next to it), and I don't mind cleaning up leaves but would prefer not to have tons of pollen or sap because my kids will rub their hands in it and bring it inside to show me. =)

We were thinking of the Bradford pear, but apparently the flowers reek, and I'm worried about the spread on the Southern Live Oak (the tree will only have about 12-15 feet of room to spread out next to the house, so something with a more upright trunk might serve better?) Silver Birch? Magnolia seems perfect except for those roots... Any thoughts or advice? We're quite new to any of this and know very little about most trees... TIA!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!