Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting Rid of This Tree

Posted by Jack_Tripper 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 23, 13 at 18:56

I have a small planter box, roughly 4 x 10 feet. It is dominated by a 25 � foot tall Australian cheese wood (Pittosporum undulatum) that constantly drops its leaves opened black fruit husks onto the rest of the garden under its canopy. It is a pain to keep cleaning up after it.

Any suggestions as to what tree I should replace it with? I was thinking about a Meyer lemon tree but I don't know if nurseries sell them that tall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting Rid of This Tree

Meyers are dwarfs…where in zone 9 are you? There are other citrus that get much larger that are not as frost-hardy as the Meyer but 25' in a container is pushing it. Citrus are not the fastest growing trees, either.

Sara

o

to clarify ...

you want to immediately replace this tree.. with a new one of exactly the same size??? .. and not wait for it to grow to size on its own ..????

some suggest that trees are twice as big below ground as above ... if so.. you 4 by 10 foot box sounds extremely small ..

ken

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 13:09

All trees drop something, but if the constancy of the littering is what annoys you then another broad-leaved evergreen should probably be avoided as many of them do this. And with an orchard fruit such as a citrus the fallen, unpicked fruits are big and can be messy.

A deciduous tree that dumps all the leaves at once can be more appealing as you clean up after those once or a few times per year. Unless there are flowers or fruits that cover the ground at other times.

If you don't really need the size a small shrub would not have as much impact via debris.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 29, 13 at 18:23

P. undulatum is a nice tree until it matures enough to start dropping all the stuff you mention. Then it is not so good. The roots start getting quite aggressive in maturity as well.

25', what about a non-fruiting Loquat, Eriobotrya deflexa. Good screen, evergreen, quite clean, not thirsty. Do not get the fruiting version, as they are quite messy.

The largest, fastest Citrus are grapefruits, but you will not get good tasting fruit without considerable summer heat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here