Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treenutt

Pine tree plantations herbicide

treenutt
10 years ago

Does anyone have any idea what the timber companies use to spray their pine tree plantations to keep competition in check?
Its something similar to round up but it doesnt kill the pine tree. I planted roughly 400 loblolly pine over the years and having some more planted this winter.

I planted 12 loblolly near the house which I mulched and they are 3 times the size of the ones growing in the field and plus I watered them frequently.

Thanks

Comments (9)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Well, yes and no. The answer depends a lot of the specifics. The link below should get you started on an understanding of the variables, and it will give you information on specific chemicals used. You can google the names (generic and brand-name) for additional related articles or more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: UF/IFAS Extension Service on Herbicide Prescriptions for Forest Vegetation Management

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

BTW, your situation seems very different than what foresters have to deal with. I'm not sure trying to address the problem in the same way, or with the same tools, is necessarily the most effective way to manage 12 trees in your yard.

• nick_b79
    10 years ago

This might be helpful. A pretty dry read, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Herbicides Registered for Pine Management in Florida �

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i dont understand why you need to spray weeds AND trees ...

properly diluted round up or generic is all you need ...

unless you plan on doing this from an airplane????

my guess.. is that the field trees are not getting the supplemental watering that the ones closer to the house get.. so they are taking longer to get established ... hence the reduced growth rate ...

how many acres are the field plants on????

all that said.. if the ones in the field are alive.. and growing fine.. though slower ... perhaps you are trying to fix something that is not broken .... and trying to find an easy way to do it .... this is when i usually screw things up ....

ken

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

not really ...

why cant you use a hand held pump tank.. and simply spray a two foot circle around each plant at very low pressure ... and be done with it ...

my question is.. why does it need to be an overall application...

farm brings to mind round up ready crops.. and i am not familiar with such in regard to pine.. call your Ag or extension office.. and see if they cant help;. or guide you to a state forester ...

its the way you want ot do it.. that is the issue ...

otherwise.. its a brilliant idea... regarding reducing competition .. etc ...

in early spring.. as the ground cover is starting to come awake.. simply make a circle around each tree.. putting the nozzle near the tree.. and spraying away from the tree ... and i bet you will kill 90% .. i wouldnt go for 100% kill ... its not worth the time invested on perfection ... though in z8 ... perhaps you could do it right now ... the zone is too foreign to me ... [here in MI .. the snow would matt down the weeds.. making spraying easier ... does that not happen for you???]

yes its not the easy way ... but really.. what other garden excessive can you get in winter ... or whatever you call winter.. in z8 .. lol ... [probably something along the lines of you have to pull out a windbreaker on some days.. lol]

ken

ps: i use hundreds of gallons of generic RU per season ... there are spraying tricks.. if you do get to this point.. i could elucidate how ... but i am not wasting my time.. if you arent interested ...

• Louis Lee Jr
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Herbicide that won't kill pine trees

• Louis Lee Jr
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

What the answers to the question

• toronado_3800
    6 years ago

What DO you want to kill near the pine trees is the next question?