Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Tree topping to fit in box

whaas_5a
10 years ago

I've had this happen a couple times but let it slide as they had a nice bud waiting in line.

After I got this dogwood it just didn't seem right that nurseries cut the leader out to fit in the box.

Thoughts?

I put the stake on and bent up that lateral to act as the new leader.

{{gwi:364010}}

Comments (11)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Maybe you should tell us more about what you are thinking. Looking at the picture, it's impossible to know just how big the tree is, how big the box might have been, or if there's something unusual that drew your attention. I agree that it's a shame when mail-order nurseries top woody plants so that they'll fit a box, BUT there has to be some limit on how big of a box they can send or how much you are willing to spend on shipping.

I can't remember which nursery it was, but I remember one nursery asks on their order form if they should cut the plant down to fit in the box or if you'd rather pay extra for shipping. I thought that was a pretty good way to handle it, at least when both options were do-able.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It was a 2 gallon Cornus kousa that I would have expected to be maybe 3-4' at most. Its just over 5' with the rootball. I believe 6' box is the max size.

I'd think you just wouldn't ship the tree for mail order if its that big. Cornus kousa doesn't strike me as a plant you'd want to cut back. Its not like this was a single stem plant that was cut back to a viable bud but instead cut back to established laterals. Just seems strange to me.

The laterals where cut back too, which aren't as a big deal from my perspective.

• arktrees
    10 years ago

When I ordered our first Cotinus obovatus, from that Oregon Nursery, they hacked off at least 2'. Was literally a stick and nothing else. LIVID I was. There was no warning on their website, they did not ask if it was OK, they just hacked the hell out of it, then made excuses and told me how I should fix THEIR damage. Then flat out lied to me claiming that they had an early freeze, until I found weather records taken within 5 miles from them at a slightly higher elevation that demonstrated otherwise. Unfortunately, I think many mail order houses will do this. Also means they can sell their hack plants to someone else.

Arktrees

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

You particularly wouldn't want to top a flowering dogwood. The only saving grace is that young trees are more tolerant of being cut back than old, but you may still have to deal with re-training a topped specimen to prevent forking.

The rare hawthorn I eventually gave up on was also topped to fit it into a shipping container. Efforts to replace the removed section were so slow I got tired of looking at it before it ever restored itself.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

I can guess which nursery Arktrees is talking about, but I'm not positive. For those reading this thread, keep in mind that there are multiple possibilities. So, check out (Garden Watchdog, etc) whoever you plan to buy from, and don't assume any nursery from Oregon, or with Oregon in their name, is bad.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aren't all speciality mail order nurseries in Oregon?lol

Ron,

What do you mean by "you particularly wouldn't want to top a flowering dogwood."? Because it doesn't readily replace the leader even with training?

At the end of the day I wanted to find out what others thought about this practice. If the vendor asks its one thing but if they don't is it..."if its a nice tree and a new leader can be trained who cares" or more of a "doesn't matter how nice it is, you run the risk of the plant struggling."

I've learned that if you're not direct with nurseries most do take advantage of the situation, both good and crappy nurseries. For example I got an Acer triflorum from one of my favorite nurseries in which the container was not secured in the box so it slid around and damaged the leader buds. I sent a pic and made a suggestion that they at least tape down in the container. A good nursery would at least respond, this one didn't. I could have been a jerk straight up and said I want a replacement and they certainly would have sent one if I was more direct.

I have lots a nurseries I'd recommend in a heartbeat but these four always take care of issues (if they even come up) and actually engage in conversation whether its the sale, service or just general chit chat.

Oriental Garden Supply (New York)
    Classic Viburnums (Nebraska)
    Topiary Gardens (New York)
    Western Evergreen (Oregon)

• lkz5ia
    10 years ago

Seems like a normal thing I see in shipping, I don't have a problem with that, I chop away at my trees when transplanting them, so the look is familiar.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Huh? You chop away the leaders on your trees?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

ROFL ... I don't know the details and am still not surprised.

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

Because you transplant a tree doesn't mean you have to 'chop away' at it, especially the leader. I might do some minor pruning when transplanting, but I would do that even if it wasn't being transplanted if it needed it. Same with weeding. If you're handling it, might as well do what's needed.
    Mike

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Yes, a little selective tinkering with the top at planting is typical. But arbitrarily whacking the whole thing back as though it were an overgrown hedge is detrimental to the crown structure. And energy stored in stems is what is used to make new roots in spring.