Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bengz6westmd

got fall yet (pics)? part iii

bengz6westmd
9 years ago

Page loading takes some time, so let's start another.

Still some good yellows -- left to right, honeylocust, northern catalpa, and grafted male osage orange:

Edit: Add previous link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: #2 fall color post

This post was edited by beng on Thu, Nov 6, 14 at 14:33

Comments (66)

• terrene
    9 years ago

This is one of the rare patches of native shrubbery I've found in the wooded areas around here. The understory is pretty much dominated by the invasive shrubbery planted by homeowners and farmers around here some 50 years ago. Honey suckle, buckthorn, burning bush, privet, rosa multiflora etc.

Viburnum dentatum growing down in a wetland, growing adjacent to large Juglans nigra, which I noticed may be suppressing some of the invasive overgrowth. I going to start scattering walnuts around.

{{gwi:482773}}

• Elektron
    9 years ago

Virginia creeper

• Elektron
    9 years ago

Possumhaw

• terrene
    9 years ago

That V. creeper is fantastic!

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Nice pictures. Beng, it's good to finally see your Larix kaempferi.
    I feel like for some reason colors in NE MD have not been as good this year as they usually are. I'm debating about going to Longwood today, but I think most of the American natives will be well past their prime there and only late-turning Asian plants will still be worth seeing. One interesting thing I noticed on the highway about 10 days ago was the central parts of Cecil & Harford Counties were peaking, but along the river and bay the leaves had not peaked yet. Proof of how the water keeps the season prolonged there. I just avoided a freeze in my garden again, but I might not get so luck this year as to go all the way to Thanksgiving w/o frost as I sometimes do. Supposedly the end of next week is going to have "polar vortex" again.

• bengz6westmd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

'Allee II' Chinese elm. Area is cluttered, so hard to get a good view. 30'+ after 9 seasons and the only elm that'll grow on my lot other than pure Siberian elm, as elm-yellows is entrenched in my area. Not a substitute for Amer elm, but there's some resemblance.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

David, odd you say that about NE MD, becuase here in Central MD the colors have been pretty good on most trees this fall.

We hit 28 in my yard this AM. No actual frost (dewpoints were in the upper teens) but the few remaining tender annuals froze as did the leaves on the roadside Paulownias in the area, invasive bastards they are.

• bengz6westmd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

David, Siberian Express on the way next week. Snow maybe in Norfolk:

Here is a link that might be useful: Cold wave

• nurseryman33
    9 years ago

I took this photo of my Japanese larch today - Nov. 8. Just about everything else around here is done (SE WI.)

• sam_md
    9 years ago

terrene, really like your pic of American Beech. I have trouble with definition in my pics when I'm 10' or more away. I use cannon rebel and pretty much keep it on auto mode, any tips?
    {{gwi:482777}}
    This is Corylopsis pauciflora fall color.

• sam_md
    9 years ago

leaves up, berries down, must be Aronia arbutifolia
    {{gwi:482779}}

• bengz6westmd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nurseryman33 -- superb Japanese larch...

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

The view on my front deck....

Josh

• terrene
    9 years ago

Hi Sam, thanks, I use an older point & shoot Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 (made in Japan). Oddly, this camera still sells new on Amazon for $200 more than what I paid for it in 2009. I had tried a number of P&S cameras with the best zoom (to hopefully take pictures of birds), including Canon, Nikon, and several models of Lumixes and liked this one best.

I use the Auto feature a lot, it takes the best pictures when it's sunny, but more of a muted sun, not a harsh bright sun. I edit photos using a simple picture editor, and sometimes will slightly adjust the picture, and perhaps sharpen it. Also it makes a difference when I clean the lens on the camera regularly.

I just entered the 21st century and got a smart phone, but the Lumix takes better pictures so I still carry it around. Plus it's a pain to get stuff off the iphone. I would like to learn how to use a DSLR sometime.

PS Your pics usually look pretty good though?

This post was edited by terrene on Mon, Nov 10, 14 at 13:28

• terrene
    9 years ago

Some unusual fall color...

A couple of my crazy snags, old dead red pines, blew over in the last rainstorm (very windy) and grazed one side of the 15 year old Cladrastis kentukea seedling. Ripped off a few branches on one side. :(

This must be why they call it "yellowwood" -

{{gwi:482782}}

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Here's a
    Stewartia monadelpha with a Japanese maple behind it and a deciduous azalea to the left. The Stewartia self seeds a bit in my garden.
    Mike

• terrene
    9 years ago

Years ago, a nice GW trader sent me a couple scrawny suckers of Euonymous americanus. While they haven't exactly thrived (they're bigger but still scrawny) they are making a nice colorful bloom seedhead this year.

Hearts 'a busting -

{{gwi:482785}}

This post was edited by terrene on Sun, Nov 9, 14 at 19:27

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Good to see this thread rolling yet!

Only a few of my small plants to share yet. Some didn't come through nicely on the known crappy iphone 4 camera.

Taken yesterday, exceptionally late color. Nicer in person.
    Larix Blue Sparkler
    {{gwi:482787}}

And another
    {{gwi:482789}}

Golden Spirit Smokebush
    {{gwi:482790}}

Ninebark even has some color
    {{gwi:482791}}

Acer palmatum Orangeola...shocked it lived after this past winter
    {{gwi:482792}}

Rosy Glow Barberry, taken yesterday
    {{gwi:482793}}

After severe dieback my favorite specimen, Paperbark maple, made a comeback. I ad to cut it back almost 3'.
    {{gwi:482794}}

Magic Carpet Spirea, interesting multi-colored fall color this year
    {{gwi:482795}}

Dakota Pinnacle Birch
    {{gwi:482796}}

Grace Smokebush
    {{gwi:482797}}

Blue Shadow Fothergilla more yellow this year
    {{gwi:482798}}

Full shot of my Bottlebrush Buckeye
    {{gwi:482799}}

First time I've had fall color on this Autumn Gold Ginkgo.
    {{gwi:479949}}

Hybrid Satisfaction Maple. I took this about almost 2 weeks ago and just couldn't get the color to pick up. You can see it in the Ninebark picture above. Note the Northern Pin Oak already turned brown to the left in the pic. Turns later than any other maple I've seen and an exceptional orange at that. It peaked while I was on vacation this past week. Still has some color as of yesterday.
    {{gwi:482801}}

• terrene
    9 years ago

Whaas, you have some great color in your plantings, I can only imagine how stunning those trees and shrubs will look when they reach a more mature size. The color will overwhelm you...

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Thanks Terrene! A few more years and things are going to start paying off!

Loved everyone's pics this year. Would be nice to see more pic threads throughout the year.

The last of late turners from around my area. Taken with a better phone camera.

Only the larch remain as shown in the stunning Japanese Larch shown above!

These native larch are from a couple weeks ago. Didn't get a chance to revisit yet. One to the left is roughly 60' tall.
    {{gwi:482802}}

Didn't get a chance to identify these Oaks.
    {{gwi:482803}}

{{gwi:482804}}

{{gwi:482806}}

Large grove of Populus tremuloides, needed several pics to capture them. I wish I could replace all Populus deltoides with this species.

{{gwi:482808}}

{{gwi:482810}}

{{gwi:482812}}

• Elektron
    9 years ago

Quercus shumardii

• Elektron
    9 years ago

Acer x freemanii

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Quercus coccinea (Scarlet Oak).

• bengz6westmd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

whaas, same for me -- first yr my little ginkgo colored well, here in a frost hollow. Actually, best yr for a number of my trees including catalpa and osage orange. Your oaks look like northern red...

Elektron, ridiculous color on the Freeman & nice view of the Shumard.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Whaas-

Is that 'Satisfaction' Maple one of the truncatum x platanoides hybrids like 'Pacific Sunset'?

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

My one Bald Cypress.
    Thuja plicata on the left.
    Mike
    {{gwi:482817}}

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Elektron - both the Shumard and that x freemanii are showing better color than I'd expect in N. TX!

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Japanese from seed on the left and a Acer japonicum 'Aconitifolium' on the right. The white shrub is a Pieris japonicum, 'Variegata'.
    Mike
    {{gwi:482819}}

• Elektron
    9 years ago

Hair, they really do look great. I was amazed when I saw the Freeman.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Mike, your garden/park is ever a source of amaze!

Josh

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Hair, check out the link regarding Satisfaction

Here is a link that might be useful: Hybrid

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    9 years ago

Dogwood (Cornus florida) color is good in spite of the brown leaf tips from driest September on record.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Thanks Josh. Always good to hear from you. :-)
    You have great color looking out from your deck.
    Here's a weeping Japanese maple. I think it's 'Garnet'.
    Mike
    {{gwi:324534}}

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Nice Acer palmatum.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Ginkgo (not mine).

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Bostedo, I like the (possible) Live oak branches in the background of your Dogwood pic, the Dogwood has great color also, of course.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

That ginkgo I posted just 2 days ago-totally bare today!

Either let night's mid 20s temps, or just the habit of ginkgo to defoliate almost overnight was the culprit.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    9 years ago

Poaky1, Yes - that's about a 45 year old live oak behind (and shading) the dogwood.

• terrene
    9 years ago

Lots of gorgeous pics, MikeB your photos are like little slices of PNW paradise; Bostedo that dogwood is fabulous, and the live oak branches do look nice framing that shot.

Maybe time for a Part IV, not sure about everybody else but I have more color coming in. The oakleaf hydrangea and the young Sweetgum are only starting to turn color and they might put on a good show.

Anyway, these are not exactly tree shots, but took these a few days ago in the front gardens and love the color.

Miscanthus gracillimus seed heads with farmland and oaks across the street in the background -

{{gwi:482823}}

• terrene
    9 years ago

I know this is a perennial, but I love the color on these Hostas - this is Hosta 'Halycon' which is a blue hosta and the last variety to hold its leaves this year.

{{gwi:482825}}

• bengz6westmd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Winding down. Shumard oak -- but same conditions that produced excellent colors otherwise, produced relatively drab colors on this. Sweetie the cat following me around:

• bengz6westmd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No fall color, just to show more pines. Loblolly left and 2-needle Ponderosa on right. The Ponderosa has needlecast on lowest branches, but resisting better than my cut-down Jeffrey pine:

• bengz6westmd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last one -- Amer sycamore w/its handsome branches exposed. Estimate around 115' tall and a 90' spread:

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Mostly bare here now. The leaves remaining are crispy from multiple nights in the teens, although some Scarlet Oaks are still hanging onto some color, including my three seedlings which I gave to a relative this weekend to plant. He says he got them in yesterday, fingers crossed...

• Elektron
    9 years ago

Scarlet oak

• Elektron
    9 years ago

Same tree, closeup of leaves.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Larix decidua showing some good color in front of a Metasequoia glyptostroboides. Abies procera on the left.
    Mike
    {{gwi:482832}}

• Elektron
    9 years ago

Quercus coccinea leaves. By far the best autumn color I've seen on an oak.

• Elektron
    9 years ago

Quercus buckleyi

• Elektron
    9 years ago

Another Texas red oak.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!