Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lostsoul62

Flowers around a tree

lostsoul62
10 years ago

I have an 8 inch in Diameter tree and want to plant flowers around it or shrubs around it. I�m making a 6 foot insider Diameter border around the tree. I�m told that I can put down weed cover and then put 3 inches of dirt around the tree? So is this a good idea and if so can flowers grow in 3 inches of dirt? Also I�m thinking of planting shrubs about 30 inches from the tree which is 10 inches from the border after putting down 1 or 2 inches of dirt over the roots? If so should I put down weed cover before putting down the dirt? I�m really not sure what I�m doing. Help!

Comments (8)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

The weed cover/fabric is a very bad idea for this type of application. What it would do is to get rid of most of the weeds that are already there (most weeds won't grow UP through it), but it does almost nothing for future weeds (new weeds will send tiny, but growing, roots right down through the fabric, if the fabric is water permeable). I can't tell you what a mess I've seen where people had put down weed fabric and then let weeds grow into it. It was so much more expensive for them when I had to tear it all out after just a couple of years of slight neglect. IF you decide to plant things around the tree, use RoundUp to kill the existing weeds (my choice) or newspaper to smother them, and avoid the weed fabric. A few disadvantages of the newspaper include (1) the fact that it can be a mess if dogs or pests dig into it, (2) it's hard to lay down if the wind is blowing, (3) thick applications are necessary to stop some weeds from growing right up through it, and (4) those thick applications can result in anaerobic conditions below the newspaper. The RoundUp, if properly applied, is safe for the environment, safe for your tree, easy to apply, and works effectively.

Now for the dirt part...Adding 3" of dirt over tree roots is not a good idea. Depending on the type of dirt and the type of tree, it could even kill the tree. Imagine having to breath through 3" of dirt, it's not easy! Roots need air and have grown where they are because they were able to get the proper amount of moisture and air in their current condition. That's why you'll find the vast majority of all of a tree's roots in a relatively thin layer near the soil's surface. Applying 3" of dirt over that, is like covering your mouth and nose with a giant semi-porous barrier.

On top of that, if the tree survives, it will put roots up into that new 3" of soil to try to adapt to the new conditions and survive. So, your root-free soil is only temporary. The new roots, that will grow into the new layer, are more likely to form a girdling situation as time goes by.

If you want to plant something around the tree, find something that can survive in the conditions around the tree (probably dry) and plant them in the existing soil, OR, use pots and put the colorful flowers of your choice where you want them. You may want to lightly mulch the area around the tree to keep weeds out and make things look better.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Lostsoul, sometimes I make things too complicated.

What kind of tree are you planting by?

Is there grass or what around it now?

I am trying to imagine the shade and competition provided by an 8 inch diameter tree... A picture would be worth a thousand words. 30 inches from the trunk of my metasequoia not much grows. It still has its lower branches and it is a football field away from the nearest cursed honeysuckle.

Three feet from some large black walnuts I am constantly killing honeysuckle and grape vines. So I guess it so depends on the 8inch tree's canopy and what you want to plant.

• lostsoul62
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think it's a maple and it's leaves have turn red now. I tore down the old rotten border and the roots of the tree grow 3 inches above the ground so now I will put a brick border around the tree and put enough dirt that will cover the roots less than 1 inch plus 2 inch of mulch. But I really want to plant something inside the border but I just don't know what. I think some kind of flowers can be planted anywhere in the border but if I plant some kind of shrub would 30 inches from the tree be far enough not to hurt the tree?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

As long as you don't chop through a large root, you aren't likely to hurt an 8" diameter tree by planting a small plant near its base. The 1" of dirt plus the 2" of mulch probably won't do much damage, but is more likely to cause damage than a new shrub.

Now, the shrub's health is a different story. There are few shrubs that are likely to do well under a large maple. The maple is going to take their food, their water, and their light.

• lostsoul62
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I want to created a small hedge around the tree. So I will need to put about 7 shrubs around the tree at about 30 inches away from it's trunk. I can feed and water them according to the book. I've seen pictures of this and they are very pretty. So I just need small shrubs that will do well in the shade. If I do this I won't need to put up a brick border because the shrubs will create my border by making them into a hedge. Any advice would be welcomed

• famartin
    10 years ago

A picture helps, but Brandon is right... not much will do well under a large maple, especially one that already has plenty of surface roots.

• drrich2
    10 years ago

"I think it's a maple and it's leaves have turn red now."

A large North American maple such as a red or silver maple is apt to have a dense fibrous root system that can outcompete plants you try to stick under it.

Giving flowers extra water may not sound like a big deal, until it becomes evident you will have to keep doing it on, and on, and on.

Richard.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

there are hundreds of peeps in the hosta forum who cut done maples.. so they can shade garden ...

maple will grow roots into whatever soil you put on top... within one season ...

grow things in pots ... under maple

ken