Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
North Fork Pine - Freezing Temps

Posted by Elbourne 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 29, 11 at 19:47

My wife bought a North Fork Pine in a little FEMA trailer sized 3" pot 5 years ago. She has pampered it like a family pet. We have transplanted it into a larger pot every spring. This year it stands over 6' tall and too large to bring indoors for the winter. Fortunately we do not receive freezing temperatures very often (zone 8b I think), but this Thursday night predictions have the mercury dipping into the 20's. How concerned should we be and what precautions should we take? I would hate for her to lose the tree that she is so proud of. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: North Fork Pine - Freezing Temps

I assume you are referring to "Norfolk Island Pine" - Araucaria heterophylla. If so, then yes, you better protect it. They do not like temps below 30 F when young. Realistically, zone 8B is too cold for it to be a long-term outdoor tree.

o

If they are the ones out at around Christmas time they are the Norfolk island pine. Well, here they are in Walmart every fall/winter. They have some small Christmas ornaments on them. I have one from last year in the basement by a window. I saw them in south Florida and the Keys in the ground. The needles look more upward growing outdoors. I like the form indoors better. My 2 c

o

Ah yes. "Norfolk" lol I always thought people were calling them "North Fork." Thanks for the humility check. :)

Would it be enough to wrap the bottom in a blanket or do I need to figure out a way to get it in the door?

o

I managed to git it inside this morning. Its actually nearly 8' tall.

o

we all cross this bridge with indoor TREES!!!!

time to buy spousey a new babe...

and youth-in-ize grandpa ...

wrapping the roots might help.. but that would obviously not protect tender foliage ....

i presume.. since its inside .. and probably eating up you house... it will stay for now ... but you better get a grip on reality.. and understand.. that at 10 foot or more next year.. it will not be coming indoors.. and be left to the vagaries of mother nature... and she is a cruel mistress ...

sooner or later.. its gotta go ...

ken

o

On Norfolk Island, they get to 60 metres tall . . . that'd need a seriously big greenhouse ;-)

Resin

o

Ah, just do what I used to do with them when the got too big -- chop them up for Christmas greens. They look awesome in centerpieces or whatever. I took one to work once and used a lot of it as the greens in a casket spray. I think I've had 4 or 5 in my life, and they always have to meet the same fate, because I can't afford a bigger house.

o

Cut it to the lowest branches and it will coppice. They do this for Christmas trees in Hawaii. It will rapidly grow a new leader.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here