o
RE: Eastern red cedar berries edible?

if you swill them in grain alcohol .. you ought to have gin

hit the link ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

The Plants For A Future database says they are (but it also says "All parts of the plant might be toxic"). Other sources report the fleshy cones (berries) are mildly toxic. The Plants For A Future database also reports, "The berries are anthelmintic, diaphoretic, emmenagogue and mildly antiseptic. They have been chewed as a treatment for mouth ulcers or made into a tea to treat colds, rheumatism, worms etc."

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants For A Future - Juniperus virginiana

o

Eastern red cedar berries edible? Well, kinda, like if you're about to die of starvation. NC State lists the berries and leaves as mildly toxic, but lists a tea recipe for the berry-less branches. Go figure. Juniperus communis (not virginiana) is where gin comes from and is considered an edible juniper.

tj

P.S. Before Resin comes in and slaps us all, they are actually cones, not berries.

Here is a link that might be useful: NC State

o

"Juniper oil is distilled from the wood, twigs and leaves. The cones are used to flavor gin and as a kidney medicine."

All signs point to yes

Here is a link that might be useful: Cedar Berries

o

I've used them MANY times as a spice, sauerbraten and that sort of thing. I don't see paying the exhorbidant price they want for a few sad, dried up things at a specialty grocery store when I can pick them for free in my back yard. I'm not dead yet. I'm sure that they probably are mildly toxic in quantity, but to flavor a roast, I usually use something like 8 or 10 of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here