Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leeworm

Planting new trees on acreage

Lee Bourgeois
9 years ago

Good evening all,

My wife and I recently bought acreage in S. Louisiana that used to be sugarcane fields. My first desire was to plant tree lines along the property lines to create some separation and privacy. We just bought a couple of crape myrtles and a couple of Green Ash that. We bought the trees two weekends ago but haven't planted them yet as I wanted to dig one of my ponds first so that I would have a supply of water.

We have been watering the trees daily and haven't had any rain for several weeks. However, all of them, despite regular watering, have lost all of there leaves as they just dried up. The soil within the pots is still very moist.

So I guess my question is with them still being in the pots causing them to go dormant before the other trees in the area?

Comments (5)

• j0nd03
    9 years ago

Yes, trees in pots are more sensitive to temperature change because the roots are more sensitive to temperature change.

This aside, emerald ash borer isn't far from Louisiana. Should be in your local within a couple decades. On acreage, treating them will get very expensive. I'd ditch the ash and go with different plants personally. A row of evergreen magnolias along the property line sound heavenly to me =)

• drrich2
    9 years ago

I'd skip green ash, or any ash, due to the potential for emerald ash borer, which j0nd03 mentioned.

Got some questions that may help people understand your wants & needs.

1.) How many acres? You mentioned wanting to dig 'one of my ponds,' so how much area will the water cover?

2.) What shape is the property? Square, rectangular, irregular?

3.) Is this location suburban, rural or very rural?

4.) When you stand outside & look past your property line, what do you see? Lots of houses? A few?

5.) Do you want to enclose the property line with a row of something, such as people sometimes do with emerald green arborvitae or green giant arborvitae?

6.) Do you like a formal look with precise forms, such as some evergreens may produce, and symmetric plantings (e.g.: everything in a row the same species & size)? Or do you like irregular plants; an oak here, a maple there, even a row of trees with a mix, etc...?

7.) Is the potential for tree shed leaves blowing into the pond & speeding eutrophication a concern, or are you willing to let that happen? This is an issue in deciding how close to ponds you want the trees to go.

8.) Are these scenic ponds, fishing/swimming ponds, or commercial ponds (e.g.: catfish production)?

9.) Will there be livestock on the property? Part of the year red maple leaves are toxic to horses. Horses can damage trees. Livestock are heavy and can cause compacted soil, which some tree species handle better than others.

Richard.

• Lee Bourgeois
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the prompt reply.

As of right now we have only purchased four crape myrtles and four of the ash. We are planting them along the side property lines every 200' just to provide a visual marker with the ash trees starting at the rear corners of the property. I do appreciate the heads up on the borer and we are not necessarily locked in to any one species yet. I am really hoping to acquire several of the local species that are typical to undeveloped land that one would normally see at the extents of cleared lands.

• Lee Bourgeois
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Richard,

Instead of replying to each of the questions, I will start with the first and hopefully cover all of them by the end of the reply.

The lot is approximately 2.5 acres measuring 150â x 725â with a true North-South orientation. The area is slightly rural but is becoming more suburban with homes on multi-acre lots. The lot has dual zoning with residential in the front 300â and open land in whatever remains past the front 300âÂÂ. Not all of the lots are developed so without the sporadic home here and there; the view is cane fields and distant tree lines.

As far as the ponds, they are for providing the needed fill and then for scenic benefit. The one that I am presently working on is in the front to provide both a water feature and buffer from the highway. The rear pond will be sized accordingly to provide the remainder of fill needed to build up the mound for the house. Its shape will be total freeform with the hope of creating the sense of an old bayou with some cypress clusters.

Even though this tract of land is relatively clear, it is far from level. The developer didnâÂÂt really do a good job of getting rid of the furrows or the swales as there are three cutting east to west across all of the properties. So as each of the property owners builds it affects the way the surrounding properties drain. I am fortunate with our lot selection that I have some low areas that collect water from the swales so I have selected pond placement to benefit from the swales draining into my lot.

As to what I envision for this property as the years go by, I would like for it to be returned to somewhat of a natural state. I know that I cannot make it look like it did before the first farmer cleared it but if I can make it look like I just cleaned out a little slice of heavenâ¦that would be great. With that being said, I have two zones that will require different plantings. The residential side will be somewhat formal and symmetrical where the back 425â will be irregular with a row trees of mixed naturally occurring species along the property lines. Within the interior, the wife and I would like to entertain the possibility of some larger singular trees and maybe some citrus clusters.

Lastly, we have no intention of getting livestock.

Have a nice evening,
    Lee

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

Neat project.

Taxodium, bald and pond cypress are natives I imagine.

Nyssa sylvatica is a neat tree with great fall color but has been a fussy transplant for me. Just buy a couple small ones and if they die back leave em be. Nyssa aquatica is its swamp or pond friendly cousin.

Wonder how Metasequoia does down there. It is similar to bald cypress but has a neat rediscovery story. Limbed up it has a formal proper trunk, leave the lower branches on and it gets a wide fluted base. A real FAST growing long lived tree.

EAB is in my area now. Sucks. At the arch grounds they are replacing their monoculture of ash with a different monoculture, idiots. Maybe there will be a treatment by the time it gets to you. I love the big wide ash trees.

What is the acer cultivar of choice down south....drat. Shantung maple? Forget its scientific name.