Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fivemurfs

Mystery seed pods

fivemurfs
16 years ago

These pods come from a deciduous tree. I've seen only two such trees, both in wooded locations along the side of the road in Middle Tennessee area. They are about 1/2 to 3/4 inches in length and diameter. As they dry, the dark pink shells open to expose red berries. Can anyone identify the tree they come from?

{{gwi:370992}}

Comments (23)

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Euonymus.

• furbisher
    16 years ago

They look like the fruit of a shrub, Euonymus americanus or strawberry bush.

• treeguy123
    16 years ago

That's called: Eastern Wahoo (Euonymus atropurpurea)

{{gwi:370991}}
    Link

• Fledgeling_
    16 years ago

Euonymus, but there are several species that could have pods very similar to the american species that are sometimes planted as an ornamental. However, given its location, its likely E. atropurpurea.

The seeds are quite easy to germinate, if you are so inclined. So easy even I had good success with it. Makes a fine small tree.

• treeguy123
    16 years ago

There's no doubt that it's an Eastern Wahoo (Euonymus atropurpurea) because the all the others that are located in TN even the non-natives do not have seed pods like in the picture above.

Fruit is attractive to wildlife and is often considered to be the best ornamental feature of the shrub. But is needs to be noted the bark, leaves and fruits of Eastern Wahoo were formerly used for a variety of medicinal purposes, all parts of the plant are known to be at least mildly poisonous if ingested.

• Fledgeling_
    16 years ago

Euonymus europaeus.

• Fledgeling_
    16 years ago

Euonymus bungeana too,

• treeguy123
    16 years ago

It's Not Euonymus europaeus because they have orange seeds, and plus it's Not native to the forest of central TN but it is native to Europe.

And it's Not Euonymus bungeanus because the seed pod is a lighter pink plus it's not native to the forest of central TN but it is native to native to Manchuria and northern China.

So it still would be an Eastern Wahoo (Euonymus atropurpurea)

• pineresin
    16 years ago

Euonymus europaeus is mapped by USDA as naturalised in TN, so that is possible. The seed colour difference could just be an effect of the camera - my camera often takes successive pics with very different colour tones.

Resin

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA map for Euonymus europaeus

• treeguy123
    16 years ago

Yes I did look at that USDA map before but it's much more likely to be the native Eastern Wahoo (Euonymus atropurpurea) especially if it was found in a wooded location away from any houses. If it was planted in someones yard it would be a different story.

Every photo I've looked at has shown the seeds of European spindle (Euonymus europaeus) to have orange seeds except that one picture on the USDA page which could possibly be be misplaced. The USDA page has been known to misplace images to the wrong species.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:485053}}

• Fledgeling_
    16 years ago

Im not disputing what it is because of its location - i stated that in my first post.

But for the record, i have seen european Euonymus with red berry color and with orange and also yellow berry color. Euonymus bungeanus seed pods are also not light pink in person, as you can see in this photo i am linking below.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:485054}}

• treeguy123
    16 years ago

>It's Not Euonymus americanus seed pods are different.

>It's Not Euonymus bungeanus because it not naturalized in TN and is seldom planted in the U.S. and it has very light pink seed pod color.
    And the link you gave fledgeling is called Euonymus bungeanus 'Pink Lady' a cultivar of Euonymus bungeanus which would not be found growing in a rural area in the forest edge of TN.
    http://www.soonerplantfarm.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=461

>It is pretty unlikely Euonymus europaeus because they have orange to yellow seeds always or almost always. A red seed one is probably very rare if they do even have or sell them.

So like I've been saying Eastern Wahoo (Euonymus atropurpurea) would be the most likely one.

• Fledgeling_
    16 years ago

i know. you never stopped saying it.

This is just bizarre. No one has challenged your identification, why are you being so defensive about it? No one ever said that they DIDNÂT think it was wahoo. No one ever said that it was any of the other species, just that the pods in and of themselves could be confused. The identification is not and never was in question!

The only thing we have been saying is that they can be similar and id cant be 100% on just seed pods, and why I said that is because there is a group of 5 Euonymus bungeanus I walk by every day and their color is not very light pink. It is very similar to Euonymus atropurpurea seed pod color and if it was not for other identification features it would be easy to mistake them. Color is variable, it often depends on when the pod is taken. Color cannot be the sole basis of identification because it is so variable. ThatÂs why location is important here and why it being found in the woods makes it most likely to be Euonymus atropurpurea, as everyone has acknowledged.

• treeguy123
    16 years ago

All I'm doing is trying to clarify what it is and nothing else. :-D People have to be careful of how to interpret a post because it's like the poster is taking in monotone and you can't here the person and how they are talking. I wasn't being defensive or was trying to be defensive, Or anything else. The poster wanted to know what it was so I gave it: Eastern Wahoo and explained why it was not the others that were posted ;-)

All I'm I trying to say is there's a very high chance that it's a Eastern Wahoo (Euonymus atropurpurea) 95 to 100% chance, and explaining why it is not the others, that is all. ;-)

• sam_md
    16 years ago

Eastern Wahoo is a highly desirable shrub. What a great find, to happen upon such brightly colored fruit on an otherwise dreary, November day.
    I think of the word pod as an elongated fruit of a legume like honeylocust or redbud. Euonymus on the other hand produces a capsule from a compound ovary. The capsule opens to expose the bright red aril. Euonymus does not produce pods.
    Sam

• pineresin
    16 years ago

Tell that to a pod of whales . . . ;-))

• Fledgeling_
    16 years ago

Treeguy: i guess i see. I really did not understand where you were coming from in your posts, and I am unfortunately an irritable person. I will continue to try to work on that. Sorry if I sounded testy.

• fivemurfs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I would love to try to grow an Eastern Wahoo from these seeds. Any suggestion on how to germinate? When they dry the hull (is that a more accurate word than pod?) shrinks and the seeds become dry. Is now a good time or should I let them dry completely and try to germinate them outdoors in the spring?

Thanks in advance, wise tree people!

• lucky_p
    16 years ago

It's easy to grow from cuttings, as well.
    A couple of years back, a friend brought me a few wahoo twigs, with the fruits attached, as you've displayed to us - I stuck 'em in soda bottle with some water in it, and they put out roots almost as quickly and readily as would a willow shoot. Potted 'em up and grew 'em up - and they froze out last winter, 'cuz I never got around to sinking 'em in the ground or planting 'em 8..(

• greenlarry
    16 years ago

Pine, would that be the species found in the UK known as Spindle Tree? Or is that E. alatus?
    Lovely trees, yet to see one in the wild.

• pineresin
    16 years ago

Hi Greenlarry,

E. europaeus = (European) Spindle
    E. alatus = Winged Spindle
    etc.

Resin

• letemgrow
    13 years ago

I have a few growing on my farm and they are an ice cream plant for deer, so they are only where deer cannot get to them. There are a handfull on my property which produce a good number of seeds. I would like to get more started from cuttings and seeds. Does anyone have any tips? When is the best time to collect cutting? Do I get softwood, soft hardwood, or hardwood for the cuttings? Also do the seeds need to be planted in the fall, or go through a warm, cold, warm stratification period?

• Microteck11
    9 years ago

Today i tried to see what this was , this is the 2nd year it has made these pods or what ever they are ! i cut some brush out and this small tree , now about 6 to 7 feet was by a tree so it remained and , i live in Norther St. fran co, Mo. in the pix the tree or bush or shrub or , has the leaves still on it as of to day ! Oct 23. 2014 , its the only one i have ever seen in Mo. maybe i can collect the seeds and help this tree thing out ! If it is from Ten, i wonder how it mad it up here ? and any tips on this , would be Needed ! thanks for the help , : Charles

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery seed pods