Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arktrees

Ozark's Fall Color Part Deux

arktrees
12 years ago

As per request in the previous thread, here is a new one. The original has soooo many pictures that is was sllllllooooooowwwwwwww to load.

The fall color season is nearly over for me now. Allot of trees are already bare, but I may still be able to catch a bit of the late turners in town due to the heat island. We will have to see. So after this set, I will look back through my collection for some that have not yet made it that are still worthy. I know there are at least a few, but not sure just how many.

As always, hope you enjoy. I take these for my own enjoyment, but I love to share them with those that appreciate them.

Arktrees

Up next is more photos from the University of Arkansas Campus.

Here we have an unknown Lace Bark Elm cultivar showing EXCELLENT exfoliation. It may be "Allee" as they are fairly commonly planted in the area.

{{gwi:485552}}

{{gwi:485554}}

{{gwi:485556}}

There are also a couple of Western Soapberry on the campus. Interesting tree, tough, and not that large. These were not yet at peak, but they are probable well passed now, so this will probable be as good as it gets for these.

{{gwi:485557}}

{{gwi:485558}}

{{gwi:485559}}

Seed clusters.

{{gwi:485560}}

Here we have a nice Pin Oak.

{{gwi:485562}}

On campus there are some very nice old trees like this White Oak.

{{gwi:485563}}

{{gwi:485564}}

{{gwi:485566}}

And of course where you have White Oaks, you have tree rats.... I mean squirrels. :-)

{{gwi:485567}}

There are some nice Tulip Trees as well. This is just a youngster, but was developing excellent yellow.

{{gwi:485569}}

{{gwi:485570}}

There are also a good number of Ginkgo's around campus, some with trunks as much as 12"+ caliper. Alas most are were not turning, or had lost a great many leaves for various reason. Ahhh, but I said "most". These have not been there more than about 8-10 years or so, as that is when this building was renovated to what you see now. Still they are 30+ feet, and were at peak color.

{{gwi:330169}}

{{gwi:330170}}

{{gwi:330171}}

Next up is the largest Sugar Maple I think I have ever seen. The trunk was very close to 4' in diameter.

{{gwi:485571}}

{{gwi:485572}}

Then another nice large Sugar Maple.

{{gwi:485573}}

Lastly from the UA, is a Red Maple that was simply gorgeous. I walked around the corner, stopped and said "WOW!!!!!'. There were two guys behind me walking along and not paying attention until they rounded the corner, they stopped and did the exact same thing. Don't know if this one is seed grown, or a cultivar, but it is one of the best red maples I've ever seen.

This is how I saw it first.

{{gwi:330166}}

Some close-ups.

{{gwi:330168}}

{{gwi:330167}}

{{gwi:485574}}

View from the other side.

{{gwi:330166}}

These last trees from the UA, I do not know what they are. I thought they might be Hophornbeam, but the leaves don't look right to me. Anybody know?

Looking down a nice row of them.

{{gwi:485575}}

Leaves.

{{gwi:485576}}

{{gwi:485577}}

Lastly, looking down Dickson Street on the south side of the UA campus.

{{gwi:485578}}

Now w move on from the UA campus to various other trees in the area.

American Smoketree in a Fayetteville Arkansas park.

{{gwi:433248}}

{{gwi:485579}}

{{gwi:433247}}

Next is Autumn Fantasy Maple. These are normally much more a darker brick red color, as opposed to Autumn Blazes bright red. However this one this year, was more like the Autumn Blaze, though some leaves were still fairly dark and more like what you normally see for the whole tree.

{{gwi:342305}}

{{gwi:342307}}

{{gwi:485581}}

{{gwi:485582}}

Next is our 'Fire Dragon' Shuntung Maple. It was not quiet at peak color, then the 22 degrees yesterday morning basically finished it for the year.

{{gwi:485583}}

{{gwi:485584}}

{{gwi:485585}}

{{gwi:485586}}

{{gwi:485587}}

'Fire Dragon' has very corky bark.

{{gwi:485588}}

Next up are some 'October Glory' Red Maples planting in some parking lot landscape islands. These have been developing color slowly for WEEKS. Got them while they were good.

{{gwi:485589}}

{{gwi:485590}}

{{gwi:485591}}

Lastly for today, a VERY nice 'Red Sunset' Red Maple.

{{gwi:485593}}

{{gwi:485594}}

{{gwi:485595}}

{{gwi:485596}}

{{gwi:485597}}

{{gwi:485598}}

Comments (33)

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

"These last trees from the UA, I do not know what they are. I thought they might be Hophornbeam, but the leaves don't look right to me. Anybody know?"

They are Lindens (Tilia), either Little Leaf (cordata) or Common Lime (x europaea). I remember that particular avenue of trees primarily for the heavenly evening scent when they flowered in late spring.

• abciximab
    12 years ago

Wow great pictures! I've really enjoyed these posts! Thanks

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Absolutely stellar!
    I love that Elm and all of the trees for that matter.

Good choice on the new thread!

• pineresin
    12 years ago

"These last trees from the UA, I do not know what they are. I thought they might be Hophornbeam, but the leaves don't look right to me. Anybody know?"

They look most like Small-leaved Lime to me.

Resin

• ghostlyvision
    12 years ago

Stunning, arktrees!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to post all these. They are beautiful!

• restorephoto
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing!!!!

• jqpublic
    12 years ago

The Ginkgos are like that out here as well. Just stunning!

• momtofour
    12 years ago

Beautiful!

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

OK, that elm has amazing bark. Where to put one of those at the house....

Oh yeah, update time :)

First off, nice meeting you this weekend, and yes, everything was planted. Root flares visible and actually looked VERY good. Only has to prune 1 root crossing the flare. Now the "potbound-ness" is a story for another day. Thanks for the awesome pics in your topics and the baby oaks that now have a nice new home.

Cornus spp

{{gwi:485599}}
    By jp_42_82 at 2011-11-13

{{gwi:485600}}

Plenty of flower buds for next year. I'm impressed after the conditions over the past 6 months...

{{gwi:485601}}

Crape Myrtle unknown cultivar

{{gwi:485602}}

{{gwi:485604}}

Liquidamber styraciflua

{{gwi:485606}}

Carya spp

{{gwi:485608}}

{{gwi:485610}}

{{gwi:485612}}

{{gwi:485614}}

{{gwi:485617}}

{{gwi:485620}}

Quercus stellata (again, now at peak)

{{gwi:328439}}

{{gwi:485622}}

{{gwi:328440}}

{{gwi:328441}}

{{gwi:485624}}

{{gwi:485627}}

Acer rubrum 'October Glory" at my house, near peak

{{gwi:485628}}

{{gwi:485632}}

Acer saccharum 'Commemoration' planted this afternoon

{{gwi:485634}}

{{gwi:485636}}

{{gwi:485638}}

Ulmus americana (I think) There are several gorgeous examples on near roadways but I can not stop to take pictures due to traffic. Here is one in town.

{{gwi:485641}}

{{gwi:485643}}

{{gwi:485644}}

Ok, here is something that looks pretty in a field by my house. No idea what the ID is. If no guesses I will start an ID topic with more pics.

{{gwi:470617}}

{{gwi:470615}}

Hope you guys enjoyed them!

• jqpublic
    12 years ago

That last one is not a Bradford Pear is it?

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

That was my initial guess but bark is wrong, fruit habit is wrong, and the leaves upon close inspection are quite different and it does not posses thorns like most callery offspring.

I'll throw up an ID topic at work tomorrow so we can leave this topic on point.

John

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

You guys appear to have had some of the better fall color in the country. Great pics and thanks for sharing.

Ark (or anyone) able to get a positive ID on that Elm? I don't think its 'Allee'.

• arktrees
    Original Author
    12 years ago

whaas,
    I guessed "Allee" because the local Sam's Club build a new store about 3 years ago, and they planted "Allee" Elms (they still had the tags on them) among other things in the landscape islands. Those "Allee" have had some fall color, and the bark has been very similar with the orange patches, but on a smaller scale due to the trees being smaller. That does not mean that this is "Allee". I would welcome any input on correct identification. If you would like start and ID thread using these pictures. I actually have a few more that I did not post, as I did not want to go too overboard on any one plant.

As for this thread, I got more pictures yesterday and was going to do another update last night, but I was having trouble getting them updated. But I think you will be happy with them once I get them posted. ;-)

Everyone, thank you for the positive feedback. I glad to share them with all of you. I LOVE the color of fall. The last couple of years have been dull for my location, but this year was much better and I tried to take advantage of it. If there is any picture that you particularly like, they are all public on my photobucket account, use Google to search "photobucket arktrees", and it will come right up, and you can download from there.

Enjoy,
    Arktrees

• arktrees
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK, GW ticks me off sometimes. Had another post written up and almost finished, and BAMMMMM gone. So I will try again, but if it's a little short in some areas, please forgive me, as my thought processes are a bit emotionally disrupted at the moment.

John, thanks for adding pic to the thread. The more the marrier. That is a very nice looking Commemoration. Certainly looks better than when I brought ours home. I'm sure you will be very happy with it. Ours is one of our favorites. I'll be looking forward to hear the story on those potted trees.

Well I have at least one more set of pictures in me. These were taken in Fayetteville's Wilson Park. Not the largest park you will ever see, but has some very nice sights to be seen. Some trees/plants were past peak. But others were near perfect. So lets get on with it.

First up is something that is unknown to me. A herbacious plant that grows to perhaps 12-18" that turns a nice bright yellow each fall.

{{gwi:485648}}

Nearby are a couple of nice Witch-hazel planted along a small stream. I have no ideal of species of possible cultivar, but they are very nice.

{{gwi:485650}}

{{gwi:485652}}

{{gwi:485654}}

In the past peak department we have these Service Berry. Don't know the species, but mostly natives are planted in this park, so I would assume it to be one of the Arkansas native species.

{{gwi:485656}}

{{gwi:485658}}

{{gwi:485660}}

{{gwi:485662}}

One of the things I like about this park, is that not only natives are heavily employeed, but less commong natives are often used. As is the case with these Paw Paw.

{{gwi:485664}}

{{gwi:485666}}

{{gwi:485668}}

But Paw Paw is not the only one. Here with have a youngster Yellowwood tree. While past it peak in fall color, you can still get some ideal of it's potential display.

{{gwi:485672}}

{{gwi:386685}}

{{gwi:386686}}

{{gwi:485675}}

Next we have a personal favorite. Another American Smoketree. This and the other one I posted in the other thread are just babes. This is one tree that does not enjoy being babied. Best thing you can do it plant it (small) and forget it. Planting site is EXTREMELY important. It's needs to be on the dry side with good drainage.

{{gwi:485678}}

{{gwi:485681}}

{{gwi:386688}}

{{gwi:485685}}

{{gwi:386687}}

Now we move on to a very nice shrub that IMHO needs to be utilized more. Here we have Fothogilla 'Blue Shadow'. These are planted in a group in an area of partial shade. Some were more shaded and yellow.

{{gwi:485690}}

Most got some sun, and had a much more varied display of color.

{{gwi:485696}}

{{gwi:485699}}

{{gwi:485703}}

{{gwi:485706}}

{{gwi:485708}}

And now I have IMHO saved the best for last. These next three trees are the reason why I went to Wilson Park, as I was hoping to catch them at peak color. BINGO!

These Ginkgo's present a bit of a puzzle to me. These three trees are rather untiform in growth form and heights, so that strongly suggests that they are a cultivar. The growth pattern (i.e. branch angles etc.) stongly resemble our 'Princeton Sentry' Ginkgo. There are also some rather large (for Ginkgo) leaves that we find on our 'Princeton Sentry', that I have not noticed for other cultivars. The overall growth form would match what I would expect from a more mature 'Princeton Sentry'. So call them 'Princeton Sentry' Ginkgo's then, right????? Weeeeeeellllllllll, there one little fly in the pudding. PS is a male cultivar. There are "SOME" female fruit under two of them. Not allot mind you, and you certainly can't see them in the branches, but they are there. Not as much as many as you would expect from a female tree, but they are present. It's not all that uncommon for of single sexed plants to produce flowers of the other sex in isolated individuals. It's a survival mechanism. So I am left to wonder if that is what is happening here. There are several Ginkgo's on the University of Akransas campus that is nearby, but those are all male trees are the female trees were removed as it became apparent that they were female trees. Still I collected ten seed to see what I get. If the above is correct, then they are likely self-pollinated and the offspring may be interesting.

I'm sure you thinking by this point "Shut-up Arktrees and post the pic already!" Here they are.

{{gwi:485710}}

{{gwi:485712}}

{{gwi:485713}}

{{gwi:485716}}

{{gwi:485718}}

• redstripe
    12 years ago

A beautiful collection of pictures, hugely enjoyable.
    The low growing herbaceous plant looks like Amsonia hubrichtii.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Ark, is this typical for your area? Now I don't feel like I missed fall, thanks for bringing it to the GW!

The witchhazel is likely Hamamelis vernalis.

I noticed you mentioned Cotinus obovatus needs a dry site. Aren't they actually very tolerant of wet soils?

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

I believe they are very susceptible to verticillum wilt if they occupy wet sites, whaas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Redbud and smoke tree are especially susceptible

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Sorry I shouldn't be diverting the fall gallery. Didn't know there was a relationship with wilt and wet sites. Good link by the way, thanks.

• arktrees
    Original Author
    12 years ago

whaas,
    Your not diverting anything. I after all started it by putting the part in about American Smoketree needing a location on the dry side. I know that most people are not familiar with it, and therefore aren't familiar with it's needs. This thread is also about exposure to the not as common, and that is why there are Soapberry, Yellowwood, American Smoketree among others. I can post pictures of Red Maples and Sugar Maples until your eyes bleed, there are so many of them in the area.

As for fall color, I would say this year was nothing exceptional and fairly typical. In some ways it was lacking due to the drought and heat. That certainly was the case for dogwoods, as most were very hard hit. Conversely, Red Post Oaks is kinda unusual, but I also know a Scarlet Oak that was extreme red last year, only did a brownish red this year. So everything taken together, I would say our color was average to little above average. The "color" trees are going to be nice most every year if they have leaves. But some years the timing with everything at once is good, the trees such as the Post Oaks color as well, and the intensity is greater in all due to weather conditions, producing a show far superior to this year.

Arktrees

• lou_spicewood_tx
    12 years ago

Arktrees, that's pretty good color on 'Fire Dragon'. Maybe even better than what I'd see in mine. It'd get very hot during the summer where the new growth would get stressed so they are the first one to turn color but they aren't the best looking ones and also fall off early after strong north winds whenever a cold front blows through. The lower ones are the best ones. Yours are much fuller..

This is from last year...

{{gwi:485720}}

• arktrees
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lou,
    Good to hear from you.

I have to say that the last two years with Fire Dragon have bee MUCH more productive in terms of fall color, than the previous years. It's also turned later than most, so that helps to extend the "color season". I also have to give it props for surviving our bout of extreme cold last winter with only minor damage. Not growing nearly as fast as yours, but that's the way it goes. It grew even less this year, probable because of a stupidly wet 5-6 weeks in spring at the time of growth.

How did your trees hold up in the drought you have? Our drought was not nearly as bad as yours, but still was enough to kill (i.e. about a 35' White Pine on the say to work) or at least defoliated many trees, so I'm sure it's real ugly for you in Texas.

Arktrees

• anna_lisa
    12 years ago

wow love looking at all the different trees and there colors I have lots of pictures of tree and use them as screen saver thanks for sharing

• lou_spicewood_tx
    12 years ago

Arktrees,

I would have to say that Dallas-Ft Worth got lucky when it comes to rain for the most part but rest of Texas, not so lucky. I think 2005-2006 drought was worse for my area. The difference is that it was significantly hotter this time around. On my way to Houston earlier, many pines have turned brown. I have never seen it this bad in Houston area like that in terms of drought damage.

The weather so far doesn't seem to be conductive for nice fall color on my shantung maple trees. It has been too warm. I guess I will find out soon.

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

We are experiencing fall part 2 over the last week. Some silver maples, red maples, pears, cottonwoods and elms to name a few are coloring up finally. Most have already done their thing, but I am assuming most of what is coloring is actually from a second set of leaves the some trees pushed out in mid August after they defoliated this summer. I took a few pics of some silver maples in an unkempt part of the yard that will be bulldozed this winter/next spring. They looked nothing near this good last year. Yellows, reds, oranges, pinks and even purples all on display. I don't know how bright the overall look is in the pics, but they are very vivid in person from a distance.

{{gwi:485722}}
    By jp_42_82 at 2011-11-28

{{gwi:485725}}

{{gwi:485727}}

{{gwi:485729}}

{{gwi:485730}}

{{gwi:485732}}

{{gwi:485734}}

{{gwi:485736}}

• arktrees
    Original Author
    12 years ago

John thanks for adding the pics. The Silver Maples this fall were the brightest I think I have ever seen them. Growing up they were always a very dull yellow, with a bit of green mixed in. One thing that has crossed my mind, is I'm wondering if there are sooooo many freemanii maples being planted, that they aren't cross pollinating with the native Silver Maples, resulting in young trees with a certain amount of Red Maple genetics. I wonder this, because most of the Silver Maple tree that generate some color, seem to be younger trees. As in trees that grew after all the Autumn Blazes etc began to be planted. Now that could be because they are more likely to have nice fall color when young. I don't know, just a thought.

Arktrees

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

Good thoughts. A possibility for sure. The closest AB that could have shared some genes to the little ones here is about .25 mile away. It is around 30' tall and I'd estimate a little over half as wide as tall. There are a few large silver maples across the street. Obviously I have a few in my yard, but all the trees present in the pic were there before mine were planted. There is also a very small 3 footer that has reds very close to our AB. In the posted pic below, the color is somewhat faded but not much from peak. Also, AB are advertised as sterile but all 5 of the larger ones at the house had flowers followed by samaras this spring.

{{gwi:485739}}

• arktrees
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ABM IIRC is a "male" tree. Not sterile in the truest sense, meaning completely unable to reproduce, instead producing male flowers only. However I'm seeing lots of trees labeled as "Autumn Blaze" with varying numbers of sarmara's on them. This leads to the conclusion that they are not as "male/sterile" as advertised, or many ABM are not the original clone. Perhaps it is some combination.

Arktrees

• lou_spicewood_tx
    12 years ago

Hey Arktrees, have you been to Metro Maples' on the Move section lately? Scroll all the way to the bottom to see that supposedly mutation with extra thin lobes caused by excessive heat and wind. Should be interesting to see if the leaves come back next spring. My maples have turned out pretty good after this horrible hot summer in full sun every day... Will post pictures soon. Trying to catch their best color which is any day now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Extra thin lobes shantung maple

• arktrees
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes Lou, I had seen the picture of the very thin lobes. It's certainly worth grafting to see if it maintains. These kind of sprouts (witches brooms) aren't all all uncommon, and they can be due to many things. Mutation is one possibility, but there are viruses, bacteria, chemicals, and even some insects can cause these. Examples of altered growth such as this are galls produced on Oak leaves by a wasp, tulips that are a marbled mottle coloration is due to a virus and not a mutation at all, tomatoes get very think and wide leaves upon almost any chemical exposure. So it's too soon to call it a mutation IMHO, and certainly can't tell if it's stable. If in fact it ends up being stable, then could be a good candidate for producing light shade in areas where you would not want dense shade.

So have you seen the thin leaves yourself? I saw where he said it was on 'Golden Dragon', and it would be nice if it retains the same intense gold coloration in fall.

Arktrees

• lou_spicewood_tx
    12 years ago

Arktrees, I had planned on going to Metro Maples to look at trees Saturday but the storm came (much needed). Perhaps on Tuesday when the rain event is finally gone. It looks like the very hot weather all summer long didn't do much to worsen fall color. I must admit that Blaine's Dragon looked pretty good. I'll go ahead and start a thread for fall color on my trees.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Jon, I rarely see Silver Maples with decent color. Once in a while they are a nice yellow around here. One year mine (already planted at this house) had red highlights similar to what you found so it can happen with larger specimens.

{{gwi:485742}}

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

Another nice example there, whaas. There is one in town that has a light pink color I have not seen on any other tree. I'll take pics if it is still in color next weekend.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?