Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pine cone do they drop every year

Posted by anna_lisa Quebec (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 16, 11 at 21:58

does anyone know if the pine cones drop every year and do they drop only in the winter some trees are still full

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pine cone do they drop every year

• Posted by jqpublic 7b/8a Wake County NC (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 16, 11 at 23:45

That looks like an Eastern White pine. Cones are produced every year and take 2 years to mature. Higher than normal cone production years are about every 3-5 years.

o

Agreed. Eastern White Pine. Pines drop needles and cones every year.

o

I don't think they drop every year if it takes 2 years to mature then how can they drop they are not ready

o

The whole tree doesn't have entirely new cones every year. Some are old cones from the year before.

o

• Posted by jqpublic 7b/8a Wake County NC (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 19, 11 at 0:22

The only year they won't drop cones when there are cones on the tree is the first year they ever made cones.

o

think of it this way

first year they are produced .. they are pregnant

second year they mature or ripen ... the seeds are released .. given birth

the next year or afterwards.. the thingee holding them to the tree.. rots enough to make them fall off ... subject to storms.. wind.. weather.. etc ... i dont know where to go with the analogy at this point.. lol ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here