Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Do Shagbark Hickory trees grow slow in zone 6?

poaky1
9 years ago

As the title mentions, in zone 6, with well drained loam and clay underneath soil, or any good soil, does Shagbark Hickory grow slower than Q. Alba? That would be about 2 ft to 3 ft per year in height growth?

Comments (13)

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Link below POKE.

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Carya ovata (Mill.) K. Koch

• corkball
    9 years ago

I am in zone 4, and I have both trees on my property. They seem to grow at similar rates, but I would give the edge to white oak (up to 4' per year, although more typically 2-3 as you said).
    They grow DIFFERENTLY - hickory puts on all its growth early in the season as is generally done growing (up) by July. White oak will put on multiple growth flushes into late summer.
    On my property, soil is a much bigger factor. I have hickory in good soil that is 2x as large as same age hickory in heavy clay. Oak does not seem AS affected by different soil type.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Shellbark hickory here grows faster (at least 2'/yr) than my Q alba, but it's in better soil. Prb'ly similar in the same soil. A few shagbarks near me are on par w/the surrounding trees (assuming same age), so hard to call them truly slow.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, thanks everyone, so from all that, the link from Dax says slower than oak, but the personal experience is sorta making me figure it is about the same as Q. Alba Possibly as a WAG. Poaky1

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Maybe initially after deep root establishment similar growth rates but Quercus alba will be at a large, mature size in 1/2 the time. I'll opine...

Dax

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

Slow. As. Christmas.
    Have some in nursery beds, planted back around 2000 that are about 4 ft tall. Pecans & oaks planted at the same time, in the same bed, are 12-15'.
    Moved one select seedling with red budscales to the front yard when it was about 2 ft tall...probably 10 years ago. It's now maybe 8 ft tall.
    Have several, grafted onto pecan understock - which probably pushes more growth - and perhaps a bit farther into the season. Oldest was grafted about 1998; is now maybe 12 ft tall.

Perhaps with some fertilization, they'd grow faster - but nothing gets much here, except bearing-age nut trees.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

I wanted to write like 1/4-1/5 the rate but I didn't feel up to being slammed.......

Dax

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dax, I am not sure about why you feel you would be slammed. I would not get nasty with you over your reply. I would perhaps take your reply as being closer to what I would experience, being that we have the same soil type. I would water in between rainfall, etc. Take a chill pill Dax, I think your advice is pretty good. Not sure who would "slam" you. Must be a "guy thing" Poaky1

• gardener365
    9 years ago

I took the pill, grassiass.

Dax

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

I'm not a hickory expert, but I believe Shagbark is on the slower side, Shellbark is a bit faster as is Bitternut.

However, I think on average, just about any oak will outpace any hickory in growth rate.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Ah.... But with Shagbark, you can make and enjoy a lovely syrup! I want to plant one near Houston. Thanks for the reminder that I need to order one (it may be too late).
    K

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Bitternut is faster. 90-100 footers are common around here (prb'ly 70 yrs old) & rise above the canopy of oaks, maples, etc.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After reading the link that Dax had posted a link to. It is mentioned that Shagbark Hickory is "one of the faster growing Hickories". I hadn't noticed this right away, but it is there. It took reading all of the link provided actually. As a result I would imagine my Hickory tree will grow at a "normal" pace for it's particular environment.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner