Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jujujojo_gw

A miniature tree with redoubled red rose flowers

jujujojo_gw
10 years ago

This is really lovely. It looks almost like a fuchsia. The flowers, however, are as doubled as roses.

{{gwi:486688}}

{{gwi:486689}}

{{gwi:486691}}

{{gwi:486692}}

Comments (12)

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

Looks nice.
    Do you know the name of it?
    Mike

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is obviously a cultivar of double-flowering and infertile pomegranate. Is this not obvious :)

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

LOL, not in my temperate rainforest world.
    Mike.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by mikebotann 8a SE of Seattle (mikebotann@gmail.com) on Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 12:36

temperate and rainforest ?

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

A lot of rain here with some freezing temperatures in the winter.
    The only time I've seen a pomegranate is on a shelf at the supermarket. I, and a lot of others here, have never seen the plant.
    Looks nice. Wish I could grow it outside here.
    Mike

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Species is frequent in local retail outlets and not entirely rare in local plantings. At the moment I am seeing mostly the single-flowered 'Nana' being offered. Larger, older specimens around were hammered by 1990 winter, however last time I was at the Halda Klager Lilac Garden, Woodland, WA I saw an orange-and-white flowered cultivar blooming south of the house. It looked like it may have frozen down and then come back from the crown. I think at least one of the plants south of the main greenhouse at the Washington Park Arboretum, Seattle also came back and got back up to head height or more. Prior to 1990 there was 2 or 3 of them in the bed and I remember these as being seen in fruit.

Perhaps the biggest one I've seen here was in a south-facing front yard near the University District but I think it went down in 1990, and then perhaps was killed by the occupants of the site when it tried to grow back - I may have seen new stems coming up at one point but nothing later (all viewing of the site over the years has been from a moving car on a steep hill).

So the upshot is that these can be and have been grown here if they get a hot spot and a 30 year winter doesn't come along.

• subtropix
    10 years ago

Have not had any problems with this one. It is also 'nana'. How big will it get? I believe the dwarf 'nana' is cold hardier than the species.

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

Glad to see it growing in the lowlands. It would never survive up here in the foothills with temps in the single digits Fahrenheit every few years.
    Mike

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Yes, the 1990 winter torpedoed a bunch of stuff around the Sound because it featured foothill temperatures - one party I spoke to afterward claimed 2 degrees F. for a site near North Seattle Community College. On the other hand, the low for a garden on a hill near Kent was supposed to have been 7 degrees F. What this garden contained for many years would suggest it was as mild as the western half of Seattle etc.

If you are within walking distance of the water at the latitude of Seattle you can expect to not drop below the 10 degree F. threshold.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How about white cultivars?

White flowered:

{{gwi:486693}}

{{gwi:486694}}

White fruits:

{{gwi:486695}}

Red and white flowered:

{{gwi:486696}}

• jujujojo_gw