Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claynation_il

To do list: canada cherry with black knot.........

claynation_il
10 years ago

........no, not to buy one with black knot, lol.....

but........perhaps get rid of one with black knot.

Have grown tired of the pruning, the spraying, etc, etc.

Then next year it's rinse-lather-repeat again and again......

.....a good sized tree in strategic yard location with an unfortunate case of black knot I can't get ahead of.....
Any latest and greatest treatment that maybe I am unaware of that you guys have possibly come across ??

Otherwise it's coming out.......just thought I'd check with you guys before breaking out the chainsaw.

Thanks for any input.....

Comments (14)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

The best treatment is a Stihl MS880 applied full strength against the base of the tree for one to two seconds, followed by a light coating of undiluted-from-the-bottle (41% or whatever) glyphosate applied to the freshly exposed phloem.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

do the purple plum while you are at it ... lol ...

usually takes me ten times longer getting the darn chainsaw fired up.. than it takes to do the job ...

makes a nice fire .... lol

ken

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

I agree with Brandon and Ken. Fire up the chainsaw and be done with it. Are the blooms worth it for it to remain? Nope, they're not that good. Like Ken says, they make a nice fire.
    I have a large garden with many trees, and not one cherry or plum. I don't need their many problems. If I want to see one, I'll enjoy it when in bloom down the street,... any street.
    Brandon, MS880?!! You're not wasting anytime, are you? lol
    I's have to use my old Stihl 032AV to cut it down and my old 020T could do a quick cleanup job.
    Mike

• claynation_il
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Man......I've babied that thing for the last 10 years and this is how it pays me back.........(something about no good deed goes unpunished)

Oh well, out it comes and will ponder a replacement over the winter. Will also need to ponder replacement for purple ash that came out last month due to ash borer.

I guess part of the fun, it's always a work in progress with things to do.

I've also got a crappy willow that's been looking at me funny, almost like it's daring me to do something. Maybe in a year or two ( don't tell it I said anything).

10 years ago

look down.. see .... any .. feel .... the running chainsaw in your hand ... walk to willow.. and take care of it ...

the way to do it.. the cherry ... is to get mad about how much money and precious time you have wasted on this piece of carp ... for years now ...

there are hundreds.. if not thousand of plants that dont get disease ... WHY HAVE YOU WASTED A DECADE SCREWING WITH THIS THING???/

i would not suggest prunus as a replacement ..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: see right margin box

• claynation_il
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No more prunus...........you got that right!

Had it in my mind I need a paperbark maple. Now might be the time but hard to find around here. At least ones of decent size, say 1" caliper.

We'll see next spring.

10 years ago

nurseries.. will be ordering in stock for spring planting time... in the next month or so .... i will yell ...

ORDER UP SOME TOE CURLING TREES TO REPLACE THIS CARP...

how about a variegated sweetgum??? .. see link ...

red flowering chestnut ...

a tricolor beech ..

crikey man.. you are thinking of a plain old free freakin maple ... i dont care if it has pretty bark.. its a maple ... what.. you want surface roots ruining your lawn in 10 years ????

and ... BTW ... while the chainsaw is hummin ... take down the poplars.. the bradford pear .... and the foundation plants that are over the eaves ....

as they said in Seinfeld ... so many years ago ... prove who is master of this domain ....

find a quality nursery ... call them.. find out who supplies them .. e.g. iseli ... monrovia... etc.. and then peruse those websites ... yes.. a high end nursery will not be a bargain ... but i would NOT be living on hope and prayer .. that they will mysteriously .... order up something cool ....

below is a pic of my tricolor beech

ken

actually this pic is focused on the blue plant under the tricolor ....
    {{gwi:242703}}

{{gwi:242702}}

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• claynation_il
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken-

Ha!.........already got a tricolor and also a red obelisk beech. Both great trees. Both in the ground 7 years ago doing great. (Also got a couple of those miniature little people I see next to your tricolor. That is one species that takes a lot of care and upkeep. Definately not low maintenance)

I think the chestnut is a fave of Japanese beetles? Pass .......

Sweetgum may be something to add to the mix. Interesting.

And quit yelling at me to replace my CARP..........you've done it twice now. I don't own any CARP, nor would I seeing as it's a highly invasive fish we're trying to keep out of the Great Lakes. Kind of like the fish version of a pear tree or even worse a pear/Norway maple evil hybrid. Lol.....

• claynation_il
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To clarify.........above post..........it's the little people that need all my care and upkeep. My beech trees don't need me anymore. They've moved out of the house and are on their own now........figuratively speaking.

10 years ago

That is one species that takes a lot of care and upkeep. Definately not low maintenance

==>>>> your lucky i read your followup .. lol ...

he's 11 now.. not quite as charming ...

can you believe someone stole that pic for a canadian website... i wonder if they are pedophiles ...

ken

• claynation_il
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would hope not, but nothing surprises me anymore........unfortunately.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Mike, I was just being silly about the MS880. A saw that size would probably wear me out almost as fast as it would cut the tree. An 026 / MS261 is more my size (at least for most stuff).

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

I will yell that Paperbark maple is far superior in character, bark, fall color, etc etc than all the aforementioned.

I have all of the above and would spray round-up on all my trees as a sacrifice to keep my Paperbark maple.

They don't have agressive surface roots either...you have to grow one to know this. Also Sweetgum's roots, yes even the variegated one is much more aggressive than Paperbark.

Sorry Ken, gotta defend my maples.

• claynation_il
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree, I think a paperbark will make an interesting addition to replace the p.o.s. Canada Cherry that's about to meet its maker. I ran across a snakebark maple at local nursery last year that I'm still kicking myself for not buying.

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz