Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

Will these acorns grow or are they doomed?

hairmetal4ever
9 years ago

Ordered a packet of Quercus fusiformis acorns (Texas Live Oak) from Sheffields. Presumed fresh from 2014.

They all sunk in water, however all but about three of the 14 nuts have blackened tips with cracked husks. It looks like they started sprouting radicles that then dried out. One has an actual visible radicle about 1/8" long, brown and shriveled beyond recovery.

Is it possible these nuts still have enough root tissue to regenerate roots? Even a multiple/fibrous root? Or are they goners?

The other three...well, two have no cracking or radicle but look otherwise sound. The other has a very slight WHITE radicle just poking out and should be OK.

This post was edited by hairmetal4ever on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 23:16

Comments (11)

• dricha
    9 years ago

They are doomed if they've already sprouted and died back.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is what all but three look like. The other three are solid but no sign of radicle emergence yet.

• mary
    9 years ago

I have picked up a bunch of acorns from lovely huge trees in my town right when they were falling naturally, about 2-3 weeks ago. Is there a SIMPLE way to try and get a few to sprout so that I might get one or two actual seedlings? I'm in zone 6B, Eastern WA. It's very cold outside here now, ranging from 10 degrees to 35. I know they need a certain protracted period of cold but what else? I have them piled loose in a small open black pot, outdoor, sheltered from damp/ snow. What do I do with them?

• gardenprincethenetherlandsZ7/8
    9 years ago

Plant them immediately in a container with well-draining sowing compost and place it outside but protect it from severe frost. Alternatively you can place the container in a cool shed or garage but be sure that the sowing compost does not dry out too much (do not overwater either otherwise the acorns may start to rot).

• jocelynpei
    9 years ago

Hair, I think some might grow. It looks like the plumule, shoot, has not started and although the radicle looks like it might have, they might still grow. I've gotten seednuts in the mail that got held up in transit and they looked a lot like yours and still grew.
    Don't expect all of them to grow or those that do grow to be as vigourous as they would have otherwise. Try planting them after stratifying...what do you have to lose? Even some are better than none. You might need to keep them slightly drier so the exposed ends don't rot any more than they have.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I dissected one for research.

The entire embryo was black up to where the shoot would emerge.

There are four that sink but are unsprouted that should germinate. I won't hold my breath for the others.

Although getting three or four fusi seedlings isn't so bad for $9.

• Elektron
    9 years ago

Hair, if you want I can send you some fusiformis acorns.

Where I live is the very edge of the natural northern extent these grow in Texas.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Hairmetal, I have extra Q. Virginiana "Late drop" that I could dig up and send once you move. I offered it to you in an email. You said the wife is sick of seeds in the fridge. If, once you move you want the seedling, let me know. It is hardier than normal Virginiana. I think that if my winter is as bad as last year this seedling will die, that's why I am offering it to you, maybe your new yard can accomidate it? You can email me if you want me to send it, if the "spousal unit" says no, at least I tried to find a home for it. Just think of the kid climbing the tree, or erm... more likely the grandkid, if you are still in zone 7 or warmer, if not, sorry. Poaky1

• poaky1
    9 years ago

It's late, I've had a few drinks, but, just wondering Hair, If you have moved/ or not have you had succ3ess with the Fusi's. I am guessing you are growing in containers, or have moved already? Excuse me if you are in a way of undecidedness with plants and "whatever else". I hope you can get settled in wherever, you want soon, then you can plant trees and all that eventually. Well, good luck with your life plans etc. P(oaky1

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    9 years ago

Hairmetal,

They look ok, plant quickly they lose potency fast.

I go to Oklahoma and N Texas to pick Fusiformis acorns every New Years, and basically put them in a zip lock with moist paper towels until I get back, nearly all of mine sprout and do fine.

• shortleaf2002
    9 years ago

They are in the white oak family so they germinate shortly after you get them. It's too bad they didn't tell you that. My guess on the black ones is the window of rooting opportunity has passed for them. The other ones I'd plant fast. I'd put all the black ones in a pot because I'm an optimist. I wouldn't put them on the surface, to watch them, they might get too cold.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-2542/NREM-5031web.pdf