Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sledge1924

Wood boring insects have attacked my Maple Tree

sledge1924
16 years ago

A large section of one of my maple trees has been consumed by a wood boring insect. When I broke apart the infested section I found the following insect deep inside 1/4-3/8 inch diameter black bore tunnels. There are also several 1/8 to 1/4 inch bore holes in the bark in the infested area as well. Because of this trees location it is trimmed often and I am sure stress from trimming opened the door to the insects. I also have a smaller maple nearby that has not been stressed by trimming that seems to be falling prey as well as 1/4 of its crown seems to have died.

Can anyone identify this insect or recommend a treatment to give the tree a chance of surviving? The infestation occurred in a major branch off of the main trunk and I am concerned that there may be borers in the main trunk as well. This tree is about 40 years old.

Links to Pictures:

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/4063897#236659254-M-LB

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/4063897#236660748-M-LB

Thanks,

Craig

Here is a link that might be useful: Insect Picture

Comments (22)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

A password is needed to look at your pictures. Anyway, let's hope it's not asian longhorned beetle!

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

I get a password dialog when clicking on your link (Picture). Anyway, maybe try Pennsylvania Cooperative Extension. They should be able to tell you what it is and what to do about it. They should also be kept informed of local pest bug activity anyway, so that something new to the area may receive attention from them.

• sledge1924
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pictures are now available.

Craig

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

you said its trimmed often due to its location ...

shall we presume it is a threat to you.. your house.. or your family????

if so ... one final pruning.. at or about ground level.. with malice and aforethought is recommended by me... be done with it ...

the bug.. i am no expert... but that is what i call a millipede or centipede ... in my world .. they live in rotting wood.. they are not the cause of the rotting wood ...

ken

• carol23_gw
    16 years ago

Something similar to a centipede. I wonder if your tree has holes drilled by a yellow bellied sapsucker. The holes then enable insects to become active and the woodpecker returns to find food. Are there rows of holes?

Here is a link that might be useful: sapsucker damage

• sledge1924
    Original Author
    16 years ago

In response to Ken's message. Your tone seems more arrogant than helpful. The tree is located under power lines. Yes, I could remove it, however it was planted by my deceased father and I would like to keep it. Moving the power lines is not an option.

Carol, I have included another picture that showes that it was some kind of wood boring insect. It doesn't seem to be a woodpecker. I get the impression that maybe the millipede was not the initial occupant of the tree and perhaps some type of beetle bored into this tree and the other unpruned tree.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/4063897#236768504-A-LB

Here is a link that might be useful: Maple tree

• heptacodium
    16 years ago

You tell me you have wood-boring insects in your tree.

My first recommendation is to remove the tree, or otherwise plan on replacing it in the near future.

My second recommendation is to call an arborist or go to your local extension agent, not the internet.

Of course your tree is "special" to you...they all are, and I deal with more of these a week than I care to admit.

That still doesn't change the fact that my first recommendation is to remove the tree. The more data you provide, the more this is reinforced.

My best advice is to call a local person to come evaluate it. Do not call around until you find someone who tells you what you want to hear, although I suspect you will.

• sledge1924
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was hoping there would be some kind of insecticide to rid the tree of the insects.

It seems removal is the only real treatment. The more I look the more bore holes I find in the trunk. I will remove this tree and have someone look at the other tree with the declining crown. IÂm concerned that I may lose all of them.

Thanks again for your feedback.

• carol23_gw
    16 years ago

I would try the county extension agent. They can review your findings and give advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Penn State County Extension Agent

• sledge1924
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again Carol,

I found a little black beetle in one of the bore holes. ItÂs only about a 1/4 inch long and has a tiny white spot on its back. I also found several white larvae as well.

I will contact the local extension with what I have found so far. Thanks for the advice.

Have a great New Year

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

Sledge, I can tell that you are new around here. I'm not sure why you thought Ken's response was rude; it didn't seem that way to me. But, believe me, he certainly didn't mean to come across that way! Ken does have a unique way of posting, but he's not mean! He always tries to help and is frequently pretty humorous.

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    16 years ago

Try to save any insects you find in a sealed bag or container. If it is an exotic insect like Asian Longhorned Beetle, the proper authorities need to know so they can try to prevent them from spreading. If your trees produce any seed you might could plant those, that way you would have new seedlings after the parent tree is gone.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

If these trees have been topped repeatedly for years that may have been the original cause of problems, resulting decline paving the way for bugs and fungi. Maples are also prone to fungal or bacterial dieback problems even without being wounded frequently and forced to re-sprout (stored nutrients are used to grow new tops, diminishing the energy levels in the tree).

• jqpublic
    16 years ago

I still can't see the picture. Oh well!

• adam12
    16 years ago

Craig,

I seem to have a similar infestation as that which you described in your original posting on this GardenWeb site back in December. My front yard has a single large 36"+ diam. red oak right smack in the middle of it and it is the centerpiece of the yard, not to mention that it's also, by far, the largest tree in my entire yard. The symptoms I am noticing sound very much like the ones you were describing, and they are slowly spreading.

Did you get that beetle looked at that you found? ..or did you find any treatment, rather than felling, for the problem? I have several messages with pictures submitted to arborists, the forestry service, and the ISA. While I am awaiting responses, I have been looking over symptomologies on numerous sites and am fairly convinced that I have Ambrosia Beetles.. possibly Asian. Chances are that the beetle you found in your maple is different than the ones that bore oaks, but according to many of the pro's, they, like most beetles, may be treatable with chlorpyrifos.

Incidently, after reading that entire forum, I feel compelled to mention that, without regard to others' defensive remarks in this little group, a couple of the responses that you were given (namely heptacodium and ken) were nothing less than downright rude, sarcastic and callous. You were only trying to save your tree... and if you werent able to do so, then the advice of trying to save seed (by alabamatreehugger) was the only thoughtful response in the bunch.

Hope to hear from you! :)

~Adam

• Susan Kling West
    8 years ago

I have a picture of what I found burrowing into my tree branches. It has taken whole areas at a time leaving fine saw dust underneath the bark. Keep the tree? Insecticide? I have an identical tree adjacent to it that appears ok for now. Can I do something to save it?

• Susan Kling West
    8 years ago

The pic doesn't seem to have loaded. It's a creamy colored slug looking thing that barely moves at all. It's about 1/4 of an inch long.

• treenutt
    8 years ago

does it have a larger head compared to the body?

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

I see no photos anywhere in this thread. Are they opening for some of us?

Sledge et al, please do not now nor ever "treat" a problem which you have not identified. Hoseman above gives a great overview of the usual situation with most borers-they are opportunists who prey on declining trees. To treat for such insects would be madness, not to mention ignorant.

Then somebody-I'm getting confused who's who in this thread-says they think they have ambrosia beetles, "possibly Asian". None of this makes any sense. The Asian longhorned beetle......let's just say, you'd probably know if you had that insect in your tree(s). It is a very large beetle with a very striking appearance. There are less troublesome native wood-boring beetles with a somewhat similar appearance, but put side by side, the differences are obvious. But Asian longhorned beetle is not something one would casually mention in passing. The confirmed presence of that hugely worrisome insect would mobilize the resources of your state-I should think. Please don't play guessing games with what is, after all, highly specialized knowledge. The recommendations to enlist the help of your county extension agent (if your state hasn't destroyed their budget yet) is the only sensible advice showing up in this thread to date.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    8 years ago

I believe the secondary poster, Susan, is having trouble with uploading photos from a cell. I do on this site and really just this site. It is a Houzz/Gardenweb issue. Susan, if that is the issue, try a different browser on your phone. That worked for me.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    8 years ago

you should also start your own post.. as this has little to do with a 9 year old post

we need to know where you are... what the tree is ... location of the tree regarding structures... as well as size ...

pic of whole tree... injury and bug ...

the issue is going to be internal damage.. more than the bug itself ...

ken