Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toronado3800

Google Earth Time Lapse

Perhaps me being so impressed by this is showing my age, but wow. Google earth maintains some pictures and now Google maps might even have a newer one! Still no drive-by shots of my house even though I'm off a highway exit.

Not a bad tool for seeing how the lay of the land has changed over the years when buying properties or planning.

4/1988

{{gwi:488583}}

3/2002

{{gwi:488584}}

9/2011

{{gwi:488585}}

Newer on Google Maps?

{{gwi:488586}}

Comments (14)

• sluice
    12 years ago

Interesting, thanks!

• krnuttle
    12 years ago

There is another use for Google Earth/Maps. Last summer we bought a house about 700 mile from where we lived. During the time between placing the offer and actually getting into the house, I was able to measure the drive way and estimate the amount of cement that would be needed to pave it, the length of side walks that I wanted to put in, the amount of mulch need for the planned flower beds, plantings etc.

All by using the maximum zoom and the measuring tool Google provides.

When we placed the offer, I took pictures of everything. During the waiting period, many questions were answered using those pictures by zooming in on items of interest.

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

Very cool toronado. Some of those trees grew a ton! Nice to know what I have planted in the last 2 years will follow suit in time. Time lapse at our place is pretty bad because the picture quality is very bad pre 2000's. Bing maps actually has the most current up to date pic of our place.

Similar to knuttle, I used google earth to design my tree layout and play around with ideas for beds and a pond.

• poaky1
    12 years ago

That's pretty neat. I've seen my yard on the satelite photo link for the present time, (last year) but not in the past. Well, before I started planting it had 2 shade trees up by the house and 2 evergreen, (blue spruce) and a viburnum. Also yews by the foundation. The surounding yard was bare of all but grass. It would be neat to see old pics.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Here is my previous home...not bad for 4 years of work!

{{gwi:488588}}

{{gwi:488590}}

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Neat whaas. Is that a pile of dirt in the middle of your driveway? Did ya see the mess in mine? Must be from after I changed the MarkVIII's tranny fluid.

The individual plants are really distinct in yours. The plan shows well.

Imoressive using it to olan driveways. I remember about five or six years back we asked a customer if their neighbors had a blue awning and a pool.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Funny you noticed that! Its a pile of mulch, if you can believe it. My current house has the same thing, big pile of mulch on the drive.

That one isn't too exciting since its newer construction.

I'd love see other folks top views!

If you do happen to install google earth. You simply have to go to the view you want then go to file>save image as. Very easy!

• pineresin
    12 years ago

Small tip - if you're posting pics of your homes here, crop the bottom edge off so your location latitude & logitude doesn't show. Make things a lot harder for burglars!

Resin

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

I figure I put that on there in case anyone is interested in some nice plants :P

• PRO
    Katsura Gardens
    12 years ago

Toronado, This is very cool. I had no idea this was possible. My nursery 2001 and 2010.
    john

{{gwi:488592}}

{{gwi:488594}}

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Whaas, Katsury has more beds going than even you do!

Impressive work from above. I am amazed at the quality of the photos and they way Google can afford to host them for the fractions of pennies per ad impression they get.

• franktank232
    12 years ago

I prefer the Bing "Bird's eye" view over Google. The quality is a heck of a lot better, but I believe its taken from an airplane, not a satellite. The nice thing is that you can rotate it 360 degrees.

http://www.bing.com/maps/

• pineresin
    12 years ago

Google Earth is taken from plane as well (except for low resolution areas)

Resin

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

No time lapse though! Apparently my current home doesn't even exist on MSN bing.