Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Swedish Aspen cultivar (other than 'Erecta')?

Posted by travelergt4 z7 GA (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 1:49

Hi, I'm looking for a gift for my father, who recently visited Europe and loved the Swedish Aspens there, but does not like columnar varieties of any trees (he prefers natural and wilder forms). He would like me to source him some Swedish Aspens that are not of the variety 'Erecta', but unfortunately, that is all I can find in US Nurseries. Does anyone know of another cultivar i could look for, and/or a nursery that would carry such a tree?

Thanks in advance!
Erik

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Swedish Aspen cultivar (other than 'Erecta')?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 3:34

Possibly you can find somebody offering 'Pendula' somewhere, it was sold on this continent many years ago.

European aspen suckers from the roots, too, so planting it does not avoid the suckering of quaking aspen - if that was part of the thinking. But maybe the European aspen is more likely to grow in Georgia. Otherwise, of course, quaking aspen is prevalent on the US market and multiple cultivars have been offered.

o

I'd go with quaking aspen or bigtooth aspen. Both are similar to tremula. The straight species tremula is only found in a few experimental forestry plots - mostly in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan. 'Prairie Gold' is a nice cultivar of tremuloides selected from lowland Nebraska and is very adaptable in the east, supposedly doing well even in Georgia.

o

• Posted by lkz5ia z5 west iowa (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 0:07

one linked below

Here is a link that might be useful: swedish aspen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here