Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrene_gw

Removal of a large Norway Maple (pic heavy)

terrene
16 years ago

I had a terrible infestation of Acer platanoides in the yard and I'm excited about making so much progress removing this extremely invasive non-native tree. Many smaller trees in the 1-9 inch diameter range have already been removed. I've pulled and weed wrenched hundreds of seedlings and saplings, and there are still many seedlings growing everywhere.

On Friday, I had 2 large Acer platanoides removed from my yard. A friend who owns a tree service did the work at a very reasonable price. He also topped and snagged two other Norways that were girdled and limbed 2 other trees (a Linden and a Siberian Elm).

But I have to admit, I miss the trees. There are huge empty gaps where the trees used to be. It's more open, and seems windier through the yard. It will take some getting used to. The upside is I that instead of spending so much time (and $$$) removing this invasive species, I will be able to plant several more gardens, a shrub border, and many nice understory trees and shrubs! Without the competition from these Norways.

Here is a picture of the biggest tree that was removed. This tree had a 30 inch DBH and was about 50 years old. The canopy probably spread nearly 75 feet. It dominated this site.

{{gwi:489371}}

The removal is well underway. The left side leader has largely been cut.

{{gwi:489372}}

Now they're working on the leader on the right side.

{{gwi:489373}}

With the climbing work done, the arborist comes down.

{{gwi:489374}}

He's only got to give this big piece of trunk a tap or two at this point and "timber, she'll fall".

{{gwi:489375}}

And then the stump is ground...

{{gwi:489376}}

Now there's nothing left, but a pile of wood shavings, and big open gap where the canopy used to be!

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Comments (6)