Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treenutt

Oikos tree crops

treenutt
10 years ago

Oikos
After reading an older post on here, I became interested. anyone have any reviews about this place?
thanks treenutt

Comments (14)

• lkz5ia
    10 years ago

Most people like it, small plants though, so take care of them early on

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

Have bought from them numerous times in the past. All seedling stuff; prices used to be so cheap that I didn't know how they stayed afloat - have come up significantly, but still reasonable.
    Selections of fruiting plants - mostly natives - that you'll likely not find elsewhere. Good selection of hybrid oak seedlings and nut trees - but they are all open-pollenated seedlings.

Just wish they weren't propagating and selling pear hybrids including some with calleryana in the mix. Otherwise, I give 'em two thumbs-up.

This post was edited by lucky_p on Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 21:04

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

I have received a number of things from them that were severely pot-bound. I still get some things from them, but I always just plan on doing some root system work before planting. They often use those square 2"-2.5" paper tubes, which is really cramped for tree roots. If you are willing to do root surgery, they sometimes have some interesting stuff.

• treenutt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

what kind of surgery do you do on the trees that you get from them? Spread roots out? Cut a few here and there?
    thanks Treenutt

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

That depends on the particular case. The worst cases I've gotten from them had major roots, practically in a knot, that had to be cut out because the roots were too large and firm to be uncoiled from their tight square shape. The best cases had root systems that looked text-book perfect. Most were somewhere in between, and many could be planted with just a little spreading and maybe a small amount of root pruning.

One good thing about Oikos is that I think Ken (the owner) would work with you to either replace or credit you for anything with a real problem. They do seem to care.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

This is a tree forum, and they have tons of trees, but if you are interested, they have hardy cacti. I tried a couple for the heck of it and they look exotic, you wouldn't expect them north of zone 7.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Poaky, have you looked at Nearly Native Nursery? I order a variety of types of hardy cactuses from them, with a tree order, and have been very happy with them.

And speaking of Nearly Native Nursery...everything I have received from them had a really nice root structure.

A lot of people think of Oikos for oaks, but I noticed the other day that NNN had about three times as many oaks as Oikos.

• corkball
    10 years ago

I have had good luck with them. Everything I bought lived (mostly chestnuts), and I was super happy with them. They specialize in mostly wild edibles, so you won't get giant hybrid raspberries or anything. I believe they sell 'edible' dandelions and burning nettle - CRAZY!

Also prices are good, but I can get bulk deals better elsewhere.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

There are cacti native to climates much colder than USDA 7.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

corkball, have you ever eaten dandelion or plantain leaves? They are perfectly edible when young & tender.

• corkball
    10 years ago

not plantain. I do eat dandelion every spring. It is okay - not great - although I don't make wine or anything.

What I can't figure is who would need to BUY dandelion or nettle SEEDS???? It isn't like there aren't a million of them in any abandoned lot.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

I Have Opuntias from Oikos, I am interested in the Chollas at NNN. The Wax Myrtle also. Are they really zone 6 hardy? I would like to try any zone 6 Agaves, but there may not be any zone 6 hardy.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

I have found zone 6 Agave at Rare find nursery, if anyone cares.

• jqpublic
    10 years ago

I've obtained a few trees from this company. They've done great even in my Southern climate.