Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Acer 'Monumentale' vs 'Newton Sentry' width

whaas_5a
11 years ago

I've found that 'Monumentale' (aka 'Temple's Upright') manintains a central leader and 'Newton Sentry' tends to have multiple leaders but what I can't find is which one tends to be wider. I get the impression that 'Newton Sentry' is the wider of the two.

Anybody able to confirm? I can't decide between the two and would vouch for the wider specimen.

This post was edited by whaas on Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 21:34

Comments (17)

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

By the 1950's 'Monumentale' and another were both being grown by nurseries as 'Columnare'. So 'Monumentale' became 'Temple's Upright' and the other became 'Newton Sentry', in order to distinguish them.

The original 'Columnare', which is now properly called 'Newton Sentry', is pencil-slim, almost ludicrously skinny. It has few ascending branches, with several competing leaders and stubby lateral branches.

'Temple's Upright' produces

Many ascending branches, one dominant central trunk....This clone is substantially broader than 'Newton Sentry' and is not especially remarkable

Ref: Jacobson, North American Landscape Trees, 1996, Ten Speed, Berkeley

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks...I did some googling and the 'Temple's Upright' tends to have wider specimens posted in the images section. Although I see plenty that are still single leader plants but no laterals. I wonder if those are varients or actually 'Newton Sentry' that didn't develop multiple leaders.

For example at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:490502}}

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Jacobson (same), under 'Newton Sentry':

The confusion has remained, and even authoritative books and reputable nurseries continue to bungle the names and descriptions. There are two quite dissimilar cultivars, and yet mass confusion. Usually this cultivar has been sold as 'Columnare' but that name, both oldest and most apt, has been proclaimed invalid due to a technicality. Moreover, the name 'Columnare' has also been applied to 'Temple's Upright' and to another clone ("selected from the best of those planted by Barney Slavin in Rochester, New York") sold by Scanlon nursery of Ohio in the 1960's and early 1970s

Since then 'Barrett Cole' and 'Reba' have been named.

This post was edited by bboy on Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 19:09

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That is certainly a plausable reason for the variety of forms under one name.

I'm picking up a 'Barrett Cole' from Schmidt this spring as well.

Now that I packed the garden with conifers I'm focusing more on the columnar and fastigate specimens out there. Its the better way of filling the space between two cones without shading the conifers too much.

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

I've put a link to the J. Frank Schmidt Our Introductions web pages on here at least twice now only to have the clunky new Edit feature lose it. 'Barrett Cole' and 'Reba' are shown and described there.

• PRO
    Katsura Gardens
    11 years ago

These are what I bought as Apollo but now find are 'Barret Cole' with Apollo i guess being the common name.

{{gwi:490513}}

john

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That is a bit confusing. Nice tree though, thanks for the pic!

• abciximab
    11 years ago

I took the following photos during garden visits. I have additional photos from numerous other gardens with a narrow Acer saccharum cultivar. All are labeled Acer saccharum 'Monumentale'. I've never seen one labeled 'Columnare' or 'Temple's Upright'. These all have a central leader with short branches. I've seen photos of people using tall ladders and bucket lifts for pruning the branches to keep the tree tight and narrow. They used the annual clippings for propagation.

Acer saccharum 'Monumentale' (Oregon Garden)
    {{gwi:490515}}

Acer saccharum 'Monumentale' (Talon Buchholz Nursery)
    {{gwi:490518}}

Acer saccharum 'Monumentale' (Gee Farms)
    {{gwi:490520}}

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And thats the reason I don't understand how 'Temple's Upright' or 'Monumentale' is substaintially wider than 'Newton Sentry'. Many home garden photos look like like that as well.

Thanks for the additional pics.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Saw the 'Monumentale' (how it was named there) at Buchholz. Talon told me that it puts out laterals that they have to get out the tall ladders to take off, and they top it as their ladders only go up so high and they want to keep it columnar. He said that others grow it in pots and tip the pot over to prune off the laterals, eliminating the need for the ladders but posing other engineering problems of tipping - and then righting! - the pot.

whaas I agree with your comment about fastigate trees working well amongst the conifers. There was a thread on here a little while back about why one would use fastigate trees and a lot of folks hate them. But I love the punctuation that they provide and they don't shade the other plants. If you can grow Fagus there, try 'Red Obelisk'. Might be too cold where you live though.

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Apollo is the registered trademark used to sell the 'Barrett Cole' maple. Separate selling and cultivar names are common now, and have been used for some time. Patented inventions may also have a plant patent number attached.

Here is a link that might be useful: Acer saccharum 'Barrett Cole' PP 10590

• arktrees
    11 years ago

whaas,
    Suggest you read the patent for 'Barrett Cole'/Apollo. Often times you can find tidbits of information that is useful, as well as the origin of a cultivar. When I cultivar is patented, I almost always look it up on Google Patents.

Arktrees

• abciximab
    11 years ago

I've also visited the wonderful garden of Dennis and Carole Groh. While there I photograghed a multi-trunked, fastigiate Acer saccharum cultivar that is wider than the previously noted trees labeled 'Monumentale'. Dennis said he believes his specimen is Acer saccharum 'Newton Sentry'.

Acer saccharum 'Newton Sentry' (The garden of Dennis and Carole Groh)
    {{gwi:490523}}

Dennis has also seen and photographed a similar tree as a 40 year old specimen at Longnecker Gardens at University of Wisconsin at Madison Arboretum. He said the collection was curated for many years by Professor Emeritus of Horticulture Edward Hasselkus, who is a stickler for accuracy. Newton Sentry is how this plant is labeled in the Longenecker Gardens.

Acer saccharum 'Newton Sentry' (Longnecker Gardens at University of Wisconsin at Madison Arboretum)
    {{gwi:490525}}

{{gwi:490529}}

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Yes, all the above extreme beanpoles will be 'Newton Sentry' and not 'Temple's Upright'. Both have been called 'Monumentale'. Those collections still calling this bizarrely narrow form 'Monumentale' need to change their labels to 'Newton Sentry'.

• abciximab
    11 years ago

The following picture from Plantmad Nursery and Garden Blog shows pruning of the lateral branches on 'Monumentale'. I've never seen multiple leaders/trunks on any of the beanpole type specimens labeled 'Monumentale'. Is it possible that the trees labeled 'Monumentale' are 'Temples Upright' that are extensively annually pruned to keep them narrow and tight. All of the lateral branches appear to be 60-90 degrees from the trunk and none of them have multiple leaders or trunks. If left unpruned, I can't see the ones labeled 'Monumentale' looking like the above pictured 'Newton Sentry' with multiple leaders.

{{gwi:490532}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Plantmad Nursery and Garden Blog

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Notice in above photos the forking ones are the older and bigger ones.

• ademink
    10 years ago

2 years ago, I purchased one named 'Monumentale' so I'll be curious to see what the heck I have one day. lol