Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miamicuse

I have a banyan tree next to my house

miamicuse
9 years ago

I am located in Miami, Florida and recently purchased a property.

There is a giant banyan tree next to the building.

I like the banyan tree, everyone loves it, but I am a bit worried if this could be a big headache down the road.

Here is a picture showing how close the tree is. Between the tree and the building wall is a 4' concrete sidewalk. That's it.

{{gwi:2123065}}

There is no crack to the sidewalk, no lifting of the concrete I often see with big trees. Does this mean the roots are deep?

Looking up on Wiki says these trees have roots that are 3 times farther then the canopy. Well the canopy sort of covered the house, so the roots must be two houses down?

When I look closer to this banyan tree, I noticed it has embedded inside of it two other trees. One I am not sure what it is, and the other is a bunch of smaller palms. I am guessing as it grows it swallowed up these trees.

{{gwi:2123066}}

{{gwi:2123067}}

{{gwi:2123068}}

What happens to these trees? Will they continue to grow or will they be strangled to death by the banyan?

The banyan seems to be spreading sideways, and avoiding the building and sidewalk. Will it continue in that direction or will it crack up the driveway and swallow the building?

This tree is I say 60' tall now, may be taller.

Comments (4)