Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruing advice for oak

Posted by c2g 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 10:59

I'm pretty conservative with pruning, and I had someone suggest the branch in the picture might become another leader (lighlighted in green). It's a white oak I planted about 3 years ago. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruing advice for oak

i would trim it up.. so i could walk under it.. [hard to tell with the pic, as to its height] .... its not like you have acreage there ... and can waste the space under ... and i do note.. that the lowest branches.. when in leaf.. from the camera height.. perfectly hide the house behind.. so maybe you want them there ...

and then i would walk away ...

it is way beyond any concern of multiple leaders ...

take a walk around the area... many deciduous trees.. over 20 feet tall ... dont have.. one single leader ... conifers/pines aside ....

ken

o

• Posted by c2g 6 (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 14:31

I hear you on not worrying too much about multiple leaders. Look no further than that giant oak in the background. My pic only shows the right half of the tree.

Here's a pic from October while the leaves were still on:

The bottom branches are at my eye level - 5'11" and I love how they're starting to curve upward with a lot of new growth. It does provide a little privacy with the neighbors and that swingset will be long gone before it becomes an issue, so I'm inclined to leave them.

Here's something else I'm wondering... the left side of the tree in the picture is full, as you can see. SE facing with plenty of room/sun. The right side is sparse as it borders my neighbor's trees - a hemlock and a Japanese something-or-other. I see trees all the time bending out of the canopy toward the light. As the height of my tree starts to overtake the two next to it (which it already has, pretty much), should I expect to see more branching on the right side once it "realizes it has room to breathe"?

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 9:42

As others have said, mature oaks almost never have central leaders (unless in the deep forest) -- they form co-dominant leaders to make a wide crown.

c2g, I see nothing wrong w/your white oak -- it's gonna naturally grow away from the shade on the right. And it's actually keeping a fairly dominant central leader at this point. The curving branches are an aesthetic plus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here