Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
notanovice___

Evergreen Pear Pruning

NotANovice...
9 years ago

I have a large ~30 year-old evergreen pear (prob pyrus kawakamii - is there any other kind?) with a large open canopy spread. The spread and openness of the canopy is the problem. Is it possible or recommended to shorten the limbs without effecting a topping response, i.e. without having the tree send out those crazy vertical water shoots?
These trees become brittle with age and the limbs are growing waaay out over the roof, etc., opening the spread away from the trunk further and further. To prepare for a recent rare 50+ mph wind storm, I took out the top-most deranged limbs to lower the tree's profile to catch less of the wind so I've probably taken most of the 25% limit on pruning for this year.
More trivia: I want to control the canopy spread while a replacement tree gets established over the next couple of years - I know the pear is nearing the end of its useful and safe lifespan - while still firmly in place, the trunk has developed a leaning curve over the years as the canopy grows away from the neighbor's Elderberries. The pear's drip line is mainly under hardscape. CA is in the midst of an historic drought so the tree only gets whatever rain permeates the hardscape and second hand irrigation from the drought tolerant landscaping on the periphery of the hardscape.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler