Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coaco98

Ice storm effects on deciduous flowering trees?

coaco98
10 years ago

Ok, so we all know the worst affect that ice storms have on a tree in general; breaking. Ice breaks trees plain and simple. But what happens if the tree hasn't broken? Are there other effects? I have a Japanese Yoshino Flowering Cherry and a Kanzan Flowering Cherry. My main concerns, since they don't seem to be structurally damaged, is how will this affect the flowers that will bloom next year?

Comments (9)

• krnuttle
    10 years ago

If they are are planted in the proper zone, and the trees are not damaged there would be no lasting damage.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

No. So long as there isn't any physical damage, it wouldn't be any different from any other year.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Ice actually forms a protective layer.

• coaco98
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay thanks guys. Really helps. Protective layer? Against what?

• krnuttle
    10 years ago

I would like to add the following to my post above. Ice during the fall and winter are no problem. HOWEVER, if the ice comes in the early spring after the buds are set you will probably loose the buds that season. There are a lot of if, what stage are the buds in. In the early stages the buds can handle the ice. How log does the ice last. Like I said there are many ifs.

• coaco98
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That makes the most sense. I hate having so many ifs!

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

HOWEVER, if the ice comes in the early spring after the buds are set you will probably loose the buds that season.

Not quite the right phrase, I think. Buds are often "set" in late summer (depending on the tree). I think this poster meant after the buds begin to swell or expand in spring then they can be damaged.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

first... COLD kills ... the fact that it was raining.. very simply ... indicates that it wasnt a killing cold ... short of physical damage, of course ...

better phrasing ... to the comment above.. is that ice can kill a bud that has become ACTIVE in spring ... again.. its a cold issue.. consistent with my usual comment.. dormant is dormant...

temps a dormant plant can deal with are not the same as temps an active plant can handle ...

so once it breaks dormancy ... in spring.. and is hit with COLD ... regardless of the form.. ice.. frost ... just temp .... buds can suffer ... especially the foo foo flower buds ...

an otherwise healthy tree can rebud if this happens .... but most will not rebud for flower .....

some years.. i simply dont get a good flower show here in MI ... but rarely does a tree die ,...

find something else to worry about .. tis the season .. lol ... flower shows vary.. year to year... based on conditions way beyond your control ... so why worry ... ma nature is humorless .. and flies around on a broom .... lol .. nothing is negotiable ....

ken

• coaco98
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It all makes sense now! Thanks. I'll try not to worry about it, but I have a habit of worrying about a million things at once and not going crazy!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner