Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ice storm effects on deciduous flowering trees?

Posted by coaco98 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 21, 13 at 11:07

Ok, so we all know the worst affect that ice storms have on a tree in general; breaking. Ice breaks trees plain and simple. But what happens if the tree hasn't broken? Are there other effects? I have a Japanese Yoshino Flowering Cherry and a Kanzan Flowering Cherry. My main concerns, since they don't seem to be structurally damaged, is how will this affect the flowers that will bloom next year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ice storm effects on deciduous flowering trees?

If they are are planted in the proper zone, and the trees are not damaged there would be no lasting damage.

o

No. So long as there isn't any physical damage, it wouldn't be any different from any other year.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 21, 13 at 14:37

Ice actually forms a protective layer.

o

Okay thanks guys. Really helps. Protective layer? Against what?

o

I would like to add the following to my post above. Ice during the fall and winter are no problem. HOWEVER, if the ice comes in the early spring after the buds are set you will probably loose the buds that season. There are a lot of if, what stage are the buds in. In the early stages the buds can handle the ice. How log does the ice last. Like I said there are many ifs.

o

That makes the most sense. I hate having so many ifs!

o

HOWEVER, if the ice comes in the early spring after the buds are set you will probably loose the buds that season.

Not quite the right phrase, I think. Buds are often "set" in late summer (depending on the tree). I think this poster meant after the buds begin to swell or expand in spring then they can be damaged.

o

first... COLD kills ... the fact that it was raining.. very simply ... indicates that it wasnt a killing cold ... short of physical damage, of course ...

better phrasing ... to the comment above.. is that ice can kill a bud that has become ACTIVE in spring ... again.. its a cold issue.. consistent with my usual comment.. dormant is dormant...

temps a dormant plant can deal with are not the same as temps an active plant can handle ...

so once it breaks dormancy ... in spring.. and is hit with COLD ... regardless of the form.. ice.. frost ... just temp .... buds can suffer ... especially the foo foo flower buds ...

an otherwise healthy tree can rebud if this happens .... but most will not rebud for flower .....

some years.. i simply dont get a good flower show here in MI ... but rarely does a tree die ,...

find something else to worry about .. tis the season .. lol ... flower shows vary.. year to year... based on conditions way beyond your control ... so why worry ... ma nature is humorless .. and flies around on a broom .... lol .. nothing is negotiable ....

ken

o

It all makes sense now! Thanks. I'll try not to worry about it, but I have a habit of worrying about a million things at once and not going crazy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here