Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Let's make sure I understand the layers of a tree

Posted by toronado3800 Z6 St. Louis (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 11:21

My understanding:

The live portion of a tree is the outside layers, the Phloem, Cambium and Xylum.

It is these layers which are likely to become infected when I prune a tree with dirty tools, while the green is still showing after a deer comes by and rubs, or while bugs are digging in. Essentially the foliage and these layers are what Round-up can travel in and affect also.

The inner layer, the heartwood, is there for structural support but does nothing to keep the tree green.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Let's make sure I understand the layers of a tree

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 12:01

Nice graphic, the cambium is a good indicator as to whether a tree is alive/has a dead branch. Xylem is what transports water. If that is damaged you can have some longer term issues depending on the severity.

I had an Alaskan cedar that had 50% heartwood exposed on one side. It was alive but I didn't want to invest in the tree at that point.

o

Xylem is not an outside layer. It's the inner most part of the tree, and makes up the sapwood and heartwood. New sapwood is "living" (definitions of this vary) and transports water and nutrients up from the roots to the leaves. As the sapwood ages, it gradually dies (or at least becomes far less active), and is referred to as heartwood. There is a continuum between the sapwood and heartwood: it's not two distinct layers.

Cambium does not transport water, sap, or RoundUp.

Phloem, the tissue that carries sap through the tree in either direction, is what is responsible for transporting RoundUp.

o

toronado,
See link below. It spells out what each layer is and what it becomes.

Arktrees

Here is a link that might be useful: Anatomy of a tree trunk and funciton

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here