Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsun9

Control Invasive Trees

I have a large natural area that border my driveway strip. When we moved in about 10 years ago, it was like meadow, or tall grass land. Over the years, the invasives have filled in at an amazing speed. Now I see many red cedars, callery pears, red oaks, white ash, hickory, elm and several others I've not tried to ID.

Personally I like the meadow land with wild flowers. The wild flowers naturally grow, like black-eyed Susan, milkweed, golden rod, prairie rose, and many many more.

So how should I mange the entire area? I've cut down many tree seedlings creeping into my lawn area. I sprayed some Roundup and I'm sure the stumps will re-sprout this spring. I'm going to cut down some more, particularly the bad invasive ones, like tree honeysuckle and Rosa Multiflora. I'm going to move some small tree seedlings, like red oak, etc. I'll also preserve a few of them for landscape. But clearly I can't keep all of them. I'll need to thin the red cedar and Callery pears.

Do you think I'm fighting the nature here?

Comments (14)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

it is NOT a 'spray' RU thing ...

cut anything to the ground ... and apply ... undiluted... full strength RU ... generic is cheaper ... to the edge of the cut stump ... use the very expensive applicator at the link to minimize usage ... to apply it to the cambian layer.. just under the bark ...

the cambian is the circulatory system of the tree .. and it will suck it down into the roots ...

its pretty much a 98% success rate ... but there are a few adamant resprouters... in that case ... snip any suckers and put a drop of RU on the cut .... NEVER let them get too large ... or you just end up.. feeding the root mass.. you are trying to kill ...

even meadows are supposed to be mowed in fall ... and if you intend such.. insure that you cut the stumps low enough... to facilitate such ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

ken ... do ... you have ... problem with .... autorepeat on your .... keyboard? Or ... a sticky ... period ... key?

I realized that I am skipping your replies because the excessive ... use... makes ... it ... too .... much ..................... effort to .... parse .... the meaning.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

The best looking meadow by far that I've seen locally was mowed once a month. Now they only mow in fall, and the meadow is full of poison ivy, brambles and other nasties.

You shouldn't have to 'cut down' trees in a lawn. They automatically get cut down by the lawn mower at a very small size. Over the years, I have killed hundreds of maples, oaks, cherries and hickories. That sort of weed control is something lawn mowers are very good at.

What wants to be there is woodland. Anything else is an artificial human construction that is going to require maintenance. How you want to manage it is up to you.

• corkball
    9 years ago

your safest bet is to mow.

The DNR people sometimes burn around here to mimic the native indian fires and lightning strikes to maintain 'native' praries. I would NOT recommend burning for lots of liability-based reasons.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Burning is out of the question. This area connects to other wooded area and I do not think government would allow it.

Mowing is also out of the question. That area is pretty much a woodland (short trees). Many tree stumps.

First, I need to kill the tree stumps. Then I'll need to prevent the invasives from growing large. Hand pulling the seedlings if I can....

{{gwi:455685}}
    {{gwi:2123120}}

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

why did you wait so long to do something about it?
    You should have kept it mowed over those 10 years.
    good luck!

• corkball
    9 years ago

you might be able to hit it with a brush hog if you have the money. it will shred small trees (and everything else). Or bobcat if you have one - but that is MORE $$$

next best option is maybe a racheting long handled pruner or chainsaw

• sam_md
    9 years ago

When we moved in 10 years ago, it was like a meadow
    How was it maintained before you moved in? Are we talking about 1/2 acre or 5 acres or what?

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It was part of the old farm land, cultivated. I'd think it is about 1 acre. Part of that is in my neighbor's land.

I normally just let the nature run its course. But this has gone too far. The vegetation had grown too dense.

Besides, there are two other area that like that. I spent more of the time with the one close to my house. That is like 600' long farm land windbreak. Some old trees are 50' tall.

I'll need to cut the 3rd area. The red cedar and Callery pears are bring down my fence. I think I cut down a lot of them only two years ago.... Chainsaw and roundup....

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

In the eastern US, unmowed land will revert to trees. I agree with the person who suggested a brush hog to maintain fields/meadows. Around here DH mowing with a brush hog 2 or 3 times a year is enough to keep fields as fields, though timing in your area may vary. The brush hog will take down small trees and all shrubbery. You can help things out by going out as soon as possible (within hours) after brush hogging and painting brush killer on the cambium (just under the bark) part of the stumps' surface. You can then rehire your brush hog person (at least in my area there are folks who can be hired to do this and will arrive with a small to mid-sized tractor with a pull-behind brush hog) at appropriate intervals to keep the trees from regrowing or you can do it yourself with a heavy duty hand held cutter (like a string trimmer, but with blades) by doing a few hours every weekend.

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    9 years ago

Well if you let the oaks and hickories grow long enough they eventually outcompete the less desirables like red cedar and pear, and all of those weeds.

Personally I'd do a basal bark treatment (triclopyr and diesel 1:4) on the invasives and leave the "good" ones. There's no way you're going to have a meadow without burning or mowing.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

Mowing throughout the season favors the grasses. Mowing or burning at the end of the season encourages wildflowers. Either technique should be enough to keep out shrubs and trees.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

Mowing throughout the season favors the grasses. Mowing or burning at the end of the season encourages wildflowers. Either technique should be enough to keep out shrubs and trees.

• krnuttle
    9 years ago

Unless you plan on spending several days, your best bet is to gradually remove the unwanted items and encourage the good stuff.

I have a similar area, I started out by removing the obvious brush and the started on the selection process. Using an axe or a Mattock I removed some of the trees, so I could easily walk through the area, Once I got those paths clear I started mowing the paths.

I have a Club Cadet string trimmer with a brush blade. I periodically make trips through the area with the brush blade taking out trees and brush I did not want. As I work the area, the paths become wider.

While the area is not what I want, It looks a lot better than when I started, and I have not expended much sweat at any one time. I have found a very nice oak that I have encouraged and it is now become a nice looking tree. There are several other trees that are becoming quite nice. One day this will be a nice wooded area.

Remember, that the nice looking wooded area that you admire did not become that way itself. It takes a lot of work and time to keep a Natural area looking Natural.