Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave_in_nova

Would anyone agree this is probably live oak? (Amarillo)

Found using Google street view in Amarillo, TX, zone 7a. Street view 'scan' says December 2012.

This looks like a live oak to me (probably the fusiformis type common to North Texas). They seem to become prevalent quite quickly as one moves south to Plainview and finally to Lubbock where they are frequently used as street trees.

Is freezing rain ever common there?

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Mon, Dec 15, 14 at 11:57

Comments (9)

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Yes it looks a bit like the one at University of Delaware. I was there this afternoon; I'm going to shortly update my spring damage thread with some pictures. They do have a number of interesting southeastern/temperate Asian plants...things Longwood or even Scott would consider too risky.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think so too. It's difficult to tell from Street View, but Amarillo is a cold zone 7, so don't know what else it could be with that shape.

Here's another tree on another street in Amarillo. Garden Web really reduces down the size of an image. So much of the detail is lost.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Q. fusiformis seems most likely. *Might* be a Q. myrsinifolia, but it doesn't look right, not coarse enough.

Those are the only two evergreen oaks that would do OK in Amarillo that I know of. Maybe one of the CA native live oaks?

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

"Maybe one of the CA native live oaks?"

Quite unlikely for various reasons. Almost all southern CA flora is known for its aversion to non-dry summer conditions; the issue w/Texas is even in areas where the dry line predominates, there's always the possibility of excessive summer moisture from something like a hurricane. I quote from the wiki: ". In 2002, from June 30 to July 7, 35 inches of rain fell in the San Antonio area, resulting in widespread flooding and 12 fatalities.[24]" However, go far enough west and you'll get into the so-called summer monsoon area. A climate where what little rain there is falls in summer, also not to the liking of Quercus agrifolia. They also aren't very hardy...I suspect their sometimes zn 7 rating is wishful thinking.

I remember about 90 minutes west of Austin was a part of TX on I-10 that reminded me amazingly of parts of southern France I'd visited. Dry, white limestone soils, sclerophyllous trees (probably Q. fusiformis) . etc. Maybe around there. Austin & San Antonio are too lush looking.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

It looks like a Fusi, maybe a small Virginiana. I can't grow one here, likely, but, I have Googled them enough to say it is a Live oak. I kinda have an obsession with some things, and Live oak is one of those things.

• jcalhoun
    9 years ago

At a distance live oaks and laurel oaks look very similar.

• scotjute Z8
    9 years ago

Most of the commercially available live oaks around here are Q. virginia are at least a mix with Q. virginia. I would suspect that is what you are seeing in the picture as it appears to be a planted tree, not a native specimen.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    9 years ago

Its a Quercus Fusiformis Live Oak.

I have a few growing in extreme SW Missouri, they are very cold tolerant mine survived -8F last year, although it was only that cold for a few hours. It could also be the rare Quartz Mtn Live Oak from Oklahoma which is even more cold tolerant.

Amarillo is about 2hr 45 minutes from Altus, Ok where you will start to find natural stands of the Quartz Mtn Live Oak. These live oaks have withstood temps as low as -20 F.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2123212}}

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Joe the Oklahoma Quartz live oak link you provided says zone 4-8 Hardiness. I thought that 6 would be the lowest zone, can that be a missprint?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH