Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danielj_2009

Is this Sapsucker damage?

danielj_2009
10 years ago

Hi. I have a beautiful Atlas Cedar that is 40 ft or so high and about 12" in diameter. I noticed a lot of rows of holes and doing a little research makes me think I have sapsucker damage. I saw the bird yesterday and it is either a woodpecker or sapsucker.

There are rows of holes about every 2 feet all the way up to the top of the tree, mostly on one side only. I see remedies such as hanging old CD's etc. but what can you really do on such a large tree? In one of the photos below I notice there are a couple of older rows that have healed over, so this isn't the first time.

Is there something I can really do to fix this? Do these birds only come during migration (the bird has been around at least throughout November)? I have a smaller crab apple tree that is almost dead due to heavy "corn rows" of holes.

Thanks for any comments!
{{gwi:492365}}

{{gwi:492366}}

{{gwi:492368}}

Comments (15)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

yes

figure out what is inside the tree that the bird wants?????

ken

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

They are called "sapsuckers" for a reason, Ken ;-)

The damage is usually cosmetic and not very harmful to the tree when they are as large as your cedar. Especially when the damage is confined to one side there is still sufficient sap movement on the other side

• danielj_2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the comments. I sure hope you are right about the tree being big enough for it not to matter. I'll have to check regularly to see if it is getting worse.

• hortster
    10 years ago

Really could be a lot worse. Damage on a sweetgum...
    hortster

• danielj_2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow. That looks like the smallish crab apple that was taken over by the sapsucker. Is that sweetgum considered healthy?

• hortster
    10 years ago

Couldn't tell - first branching and foliage occurred at about 60' (the old tree is in a thickly forested area). It was green on top, though, so it was living.
    hortster

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

I don't know how to work italics on this forum, but sapsuckers are a type of woodpecker-the word are in italics, lol.

And no, that amount of damage on that amount of tree is not likely to be having much, if any impact on tree's health.

+oM

• salicaceae
    10 years ago

They cause this type of damage on many species here. I found that by placing bird feeders around my garden to attracts blue jays and cardinals, the sapsuckers are encouraged to go elsewhere.

• salicaceae
    10 years ago

They cause this type of damage on many species here. I found that by placing bird feeders around my garden to attracts blue jays and cardinals, the sapsuckers are encouraged to go elsewhere.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

+oM, use standard html for italics, so i>text/i> becomes text. You can replace the i with a b for bold or a u for underline.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

my extremely superficial research.. indicates.. that they can also be eating things they dig out ...

again ... its simplistic to NOT find out.. if your tree is infested with something ....

i never saw sapsucker damage.. until pine wilt attacked my pinus sylvetrus.. which then brought alone the pine beetles.. or whatever they were.. which then brought the bird ...

for any of us.. to simply rule out bug infestation.. based on your one pic.. might not be the best formula for success ...

you might get far.. talking with your county extension office.. to find out if there are any general plagues in your county affecting such trees ...

if it is bug.. then a bird feeder and some shiny mobiles.. are not going to do much ... to solve the issue ....

your county peeps will have much more LOCAL info.. than some guy in MI [me].. and another in the PNW [bot/mike]...

ken

• saccharum
    10 years ago

They will also eat insects that are attracted to their "wells," and forage for other arthropods, but sapsuckers are unusual among woodpeckers in that they are not primarily going after borers, and are not more likely to drill their sap wells in infested trees. Ken, I'd suspect that it was another species of woodpecker that was feeding in your infested pine.

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

I could not detect any bugs eating the trees that the Sapsuckers drilled, neither under the bark, nor the foliage. I'm pretty sure saccharum is right.
    The Pileated Woodpecker goes after decayed trees here that are full of all sorts of larvae. They're fun to have around.....the Woodpecker, that is.
    Mike

• danielj_2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the comments regarding the problem with my atlas cedar. I guess I'll just watch and see what happens. If it is a seasonal thing (since I'm in NJ) then maybe it'll be OK. After all, there are signs of similar, but faded damage on the tree from a prior season. This indicates to me that it isn't a continual thing.