Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Oak?

Posted by blakrab TX (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 12:01

What kind of oak is this? The leaves are slowly changing to burgundy for Fall..

Here is a link that might be useful: Browner leaves

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Oak?

nuttallii

Dax

o

Thanks!! :)

Quercus nuttallii = Quercus texana = "Nuttall's Oak"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_texana
Its previous scientific name was Quercus nuttallii, but it is now known as Quercus texana; this has created much confusion with Texas Red Oak which was known as Quercus texana but is now known as Quercus buckleyi

Native to the American Southeast and Midwest, Nuttall oak (Quercus nutallii) is quickly replacing some other oaks, such as pin oak (Q. palustris), red oak (Q. rubra), and Shumard red oak (Q. shumardii), because it combines all of their good points while lacking their weaknesses. It quickly grows into a pyramidal tree 40 to 60 feet tall with a strong central leader. It accepts most soils, even alkaline or wet ones. It drops all of its leaves cleanly in late fall. Nuttall oak leaves plenty of head room beneath its branches, making it an excellent lawn, patio, or street tree. It doesn’t develop surface roots and won’t invade water lines.

So, what's the identifiable difference between it & the Texas Red Oak (Quercus buckleyi)?

Here is a link that might be useful: Nuttall Oak

This post was edited by blakrab on Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 12:28

o

The first picture looks like Q. buckleyi to me. Where is the tree located?

o

Either Shumard red oak or Q. buckleyi. There are still some with red fall color this time of the year in central Texas.

A rule of thumb that I found to be somewhat helpful...

If the terminal and lateral buds are of equal size (usually 1/4"), it is Q. buckleyi.

If the terminal bud is 1/4" and lateral buds are 1/8", they are Shumard red oak.

That is what I have observed all over the places.

o

Quercus buckleyi, Texas red oak.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here