Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdvaden_of_oregon

Your favorite Tree PHOTO of 2009

mdvaden_of_oregon
14 years ago

Anyone else have a favorite tree photo that they made in 2009? Or forest? How about posting it to share.

Not neccessarily your best image, but your favorite photo.

The one below is one of 2 that I like equally. So I'll just use this one. A coast redwood near Drury Parkway in Prairie Creek redwoods.

To display a pic inside the post, be sure to preview first. You could also link to a photo in your own album.

{{gwi:492500}}

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

Comments (34)

• lkz5ia
    14 years ago

couple cottonwoods poking above the fog
    {{gwi:492502}}

• gardener365
    14 years ago

The best day of the year for me visiting Petersburg, IL.
    This is a 275 year-old Quercus macrocarpa (Bur oak).

{{gwi:411215}}

Dax

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

That fog shot is pretty spectacular.

• bushhog936
    14 years ago

This here is a nice Live Oak near where we live. It started snowing so I figured I'd pass by and take a picture.

{{gwi:492504}}

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nice, we're getting several seasons worth here.

• bushhog936
    14 years ago

It's a rarity that it snows here thankfully. That picture was taken at the start of the year I think.

• philinsydney1
    14 years ago

A highland rainforest in Guatemala at about 2000 metres on Volcan Pacaya. There were some nice birds nest ferns around. This is quite a popular tourist volcano; I was there in May 2009.

{{gwi:492505}}

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Is that birds nest fern a common epiphyte on trees there?

• philinsydney1
    14 years ago

Yes, we have them here as well in rainforests and they look much the same although they are probably different species.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Western Juniper, 6000' Tahoe National Forest:
    {{gwi:492506}}

• terrene
    14 years ago

Fantastic photos! They are a pleasure to look at. LKZ, where did your nice fog shot go?

• lkz5ia
    14 years ago

I still can see my pic, so maybe it was something on your end.
    I'll bump this topic with some more pics, hopefully others put up some cool ones, too.
    {{gwi:492507}}
    {{gwi:492508}}
    {{gwi:492509}}
    {{gwi:492510}}

• coltrane
    14 years ago

cypress swamp
    {{gwi:492511}}

• botann
    14 years ago

Here's a couple of weeping Japanese Maples in my garden.
    {{gwi:492512}}

• scotjute Z8
    14 years ago

Rough-Barked Arizona Cypress from Big Bend National Park, elevation ~ 6,500 ft. Somewhat unusual descending branch structure in a southern drought-resistant conifer.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s689.photobucket.com/albums/vv258/scotjute/?action=view&current=1262100541.jpg&newest=1

• coltrane
    14 years ago

Near Carson Pass, Sierra Nevada

{{gwi:492513}}

• terrene
    14 years ago

Here's a fave - there is a snag in the middle of the backyard, it is a long dead Pinus resinosa that was left standing after Norway maples were removed a few years back. I was thrilled when Eastern bluebirds decided to raise 2 broods this summer in a woodpecker hole in this snag.

{{gwi:492514}}

{{gwi:492515}}

• bushhog936
    14 years ago

Lots of great pictures on here. This is a rather large double leadered loblolly pine with a nice and wide crotch.

{{gwi:492516}}

{{gwi:492518}}

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Same day:
    Liriodendron tulipifera
    The Ann Rutledge Tulip Poplar - Abraham Lincoln's gal. This tree has a lot of history.

{{gwi:492520}}

{{gwi:492522}}

Dax

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

It was a beautiful fall day at Ganondagan State Historic Site in Victor, New York. The sun backlit the yellow colored maple leaves making this photo one of my favorite tree pix from 2009.

FataMorgana

{{gwi:492524}}

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    14 years ago

Old growth Hemlock forest in Michigan's upper peninsula.

{{gwi:492526}}

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Other Sylvania pics

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's one more favorite from 2009.

Without a remote on a camera, it takes two people to get a photo from this view.

{{gwi:492528}}

• jqpublic
    14 years ago

Great pics everyone!!

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

That area near Carson Pass has felt many of my footfalls, encased in snowshoes.

I can't choose one favorite, so here are a couple:

{{gwi:492530}}
    Daughter Payne in Muir Woods

{{gwi:492532}}
    Winter Park, Colo

{{gwi:492534}}
    Backpacking thru Tripod Fire aftermath, Pasayten WA

Good fotos upthread, surely.

Dan

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That double sided cave in the redwood adds some character.

I was just reading about that Tripod fire in a book the other night, while on the stair stepper at 24 hour fitness.

Those trunks look like a bunch of giant black spears.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

Didn't really know the extent of the fire going in, never been in one's aftermath anywhere near as large. Stand-clearing all the way thru, and crowned into the Abies and Picea at the edges. All the P. contorta above ~3500' in that area dead from fire or MPB. Right about that time of the fire, the beetles moved to the Engelmann and those are almost all dead past ~8" DBH, so now they are starting in on the P. monticola. Didn't see any in the Abies. Death a companion in that - events moving faster than the trees.

Several years ago we were in Cathedral PP in B.C. not too far from there, and driving in we saw many hundreds of thousands of acres felled by MPB, maybe a million, then cut out (source of the 'softwood lumber wars' in the '90s). Abies and several woodies and many forbs racing uphill following the recent warming, LIA glaciers beating them. Fascinating place.

Dan

• botann
    14 years ago

Here I am in front of the largest Thuja plicata. Most of it is dead, but there is some green near the top. It is located on the Olympic Peninsula in Wa. St. The picture was taken several years ago.
    {{gwi:492536}}

• petunia_2006
    14 years ago

This is a mountain ash taken in my yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy276/petunia_2006/favorite%20trees/075.jpg

• philinsydney1
    14 years ago

A street scene in Canberra, with Eucalyptus mannifera

{{gwi:347031}}

• philinsydney1
    14 years ago

These Cyathea australis treeferns will tolerate full sun, but don't really enjoy it, as you can see here.

{{gwi:492542}}

• User
    14 years ago

Aiken, SC.
    {{gwi:492545}}

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Botann wrote ...

"Here I am in front of the largest Thuja plicata. Most of it is dead, but there is some green near the top. It is located on the Olympic Peninsula in Wa. St. The picture was taken several years ago.
    Largest Thuja plicata in the world"

{{gwi:492536}}

Last December, I saw that one for the first time. Just has a scrap of life left. Went up to Quinault during the cold snap. The Kalaloch cedar was the one I visited first, then went down near Quinault area.

• rickd59
    14 years ago

Nice photos everyone.

This is an old rubber tree I snapped in the Recoleta neighborhood of Buenos Aires. I think it's around 150 years old.

{{gwi:492549}}

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    14 years ago

I need to link to one of my favorites - a huge Sycamore located in a school yard in Lebanon Ohio. It's so large that had to get far away to capture the whole tree and you can barely see my wife against the trunk

Here is a link that might be useful: