Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Huge Vining Tree?

Posted by blakrab Roatan, HN (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 12:15

This is a longshot due to few identifying characteristics shown in these photos...but maybe someone knows what kind of Honduran plant might from what little's shown here?

Here is a link that might be useful: Upper branches

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Huge Vining Tree?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 15:46

It's a liana growing on a tree.

o

You so not say exactly where you live, and there is not a good picture of the leaves..

While people do not think of Wisteria as a large plant, I have seen old wisteria trucks of that diameter and larger..

I have also seen poison ivy grow to have trunks that large. In fact there is one in my yard. (Cut the main stem, but it is still there.) This is probably not poison ivy as it has hairy stems, even when they are that large.

Old Scuppernong grape vines will also grow that way and can get quite large.

Bottom line you need pictures of the fruit and leaves on the vine, to positively identify it so you can decide to keep it or kill it.

o

The OP is in Honduras.

o

Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 17:27

"Upper branches" doesn't open for me.

o

The link opens fine for me, but I can't tell much about anything from the picture. Various leaves show here and there, but I can't tell if any of the vine's leaves are pictured.

To identify plants, it helps to have a close up picture of leaves and leaf arrangement, flowers and fruit (if possible), and bark as well as overall form. Maybe most of that was impossible, in this case, with the height of the plant and photographic equipment on hand, but it would probably make an ID possible if we had more to go on.

o

Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 21:33

Got it to open this time, as already stated you can't tell if any of the foliage belongs to the climber. And since we are talking about tropical forest plants there are liable to be thousands of species growing in the area; some places will even have kinds that are not well known (or are even new) to science.

o

Is the OP in Honduras or the US as he says in his Profile.

Is the picture of a plant in Honduras or in the US. A better location would help.

o

Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 0:42

Opening statement says plant is Honduran.

o

My first guess is Ficus aurea, Strangler Fig.....native to that part of the world.

o

Sorry, I wish I had some pics with more identifying characteristics! But given the limited info, I'd say the Liana vine is probably a good guess..

Thanks all!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Vine overgrowth

o

Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 14:30

Liana is a general term for woody tropical vines.

o

...not a guess.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here