Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
button20_gw

Cutting back a Tulip Poplar

button20
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

About 6 years ago I found a Tulip Poplar sapling in a construction site. I dug it up and placed it on my property. I was and am very aware of the growing habits of this sort of tree. However, the sapling stood about 1-1/2 feet tall at the time. Now the tree stands 20 ft tall. I love the tree dearly, but its creating a bit of an issue in the landscape design and is also posing to be a challenge when I collect eastern tiger swallowtail ovum and larvae from its higher branches. I was wondering if I could cut the tree back to 4-5 ft without any problem? is there anyway I can prune it to grow more bushier?

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

it will.. w/o a doubt.. eventually.. kill the tree ... how many decades that takes... who knows

none of us favor 'topping trees' ... see link

also ... with no insult to the intact.. mature .... root mass ... you could probably get a 4 to 8 foot annual growth rate ... which means... you will be redoing this every other year or two ... you will not be keeping it small for bug hunting ...

if you pay to have it taken down ... and then get yourself some good prunign tools.... you can accomplish anything you want .... and i for one.. would love to see you do it.. and report back to us as the project goes.. over the years ...

NOTHING... and i mean nothing... NEW .... was ever found.. w/o someone pushing the envelope ... why not you

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

9 years ago

the search term you are looking for ... if COPPICING ...

i have given you a start at the link ....

as to its application to TP ... good luck with that ..

but be sure.. to understand.. that TP is NOT a poplar ... [whats that all about ... lol]

convert to the latin name ... and add that.. to the term above/at the link ..... to see if there are any fellow travleors.. on the path you wish to take ...

i highly doubt.. you will find a fellow GW'er with direct experience.. but i have been wrong before ...

there really is no downside here ... forget about it being your babe ...... and all that seedling stuff ... see if you can accomplish what you want ... worst thing happens... you get rid of it ... and plant some other favorable plant. ... that doesnt have.. 60 to 80 foot potential ...

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

Liriodendron tulipifera responds well to coppicing and pollarding. These practices, properly performed over the life of the tree, will often actually increase a tree's lifespan rather than killing it.

Do you want a coppiced or pollarded tulip poplar? It wouldn't be my cup-of-tea, but it would be one possible way to keep the tree under control, long-term.

9 years ago

the problem.. with either method .. is when this peep moves away ... and then the tree is left to go large again ... and basically.. gravity destroys it ... as it has no proper structure left to it ...

ken

• krnuttle
    9 years ago

If you are looking for a tree with pretty leaves in the fall, you may consider a Sweet Gum tree. While I have not let them grow for years, you can make a very attractive bush by letting the suckers grow from the stump.

I don't know if the butterflys you are looking for will live in sweet gum

• button20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sorry for my late response, but thank you for everyone's timely response. I think I might just keep the tree or dig the tree up and give it to my brother since he has more space. I don't know yet.

9 years ago

i doubt its worth moving a 20 foot tree ... especially since you can buy one.. mail order for around 20 bucks ... or in your case.. go dig up another seedling ...

but all the power to ya.. if you have the motivation ... timing is of the essence ... do it while fully dormant.. and preferably 6 t0 8 weeks before dormancy breaks.. in terms of leafing out ...

ken

• nyboy
    9 years ago

I have a self seeded one in my front yard. It is impossable to kill. I have cut mine down at least 5 times. Everyime it sprouts right back. I gave up.