Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
btdixon_gw

Italian Cypress Dying

btdixon
13 years ago

I have 5 Italian Cypress trees in my backyard that are slowly dying.The browning has progressed from the bottom of the tree and it is spreading to the top. At first i though that it was caused by pool water since they are in close proximity to the pool but I have since proven this not to be the case. I checked for mites and can not find any. I'm beginning to think that it is fungal now because several other plants in the yard are also dying. I have a hibiscus on the other side of the yard that is dying also.any help with this would be much appreciated before my entire backyard landscaping dies out. I attempted posting photos but did not succeed. I will try again.

Comments (12)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

One of the easiest ways to provide your photo to be embedded into a post is to upload it onto an image hosting site such as Photobucket, Flickr, etc. That should be pretty straight forward, and the individual sites will give instructions on how to get your photos uploaded to their site when you sign up.

Once your picture has been uploaded, find its image location address (URL) by right clicking on the image and copying the image location. Some sites may even provide the appropriate HTML code in a text box below the photo for your convenience. It will be the one that begins with a href=...

Let's say, as an example, that the address of the picture you want to post is http://somepicturesite.com/yourpicture.jpg

To embed the picture into a post, use the command:
    img src="http://somepicturesite.com/yourpicture.jpg">;

If your picture is too large to fit nicely into the text page, you can add a width attribute.

The command with the width attribute would look something like:
    img src="http://somepicturesite.com/yourpicture.jpg"; width=600>

Another option is to use a text link which might be beneficial to people on slow connections.

To do this, use the command:
    a href="http://somepicturesite.com/yourpicture.jpg">your text goes here/a>

Note that I had to use special characters to get the commands above to show up here without turning into pictures, but you can use them as shown (with the correct image web address, of course).

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

the odds of a general plague of fungus affecting the whole yard.. on more than one type of plant would be stratospheric.. IMHO ...

more facts [and pix] please ...

how long have they been there.. who planted them ... how were they planted ... fertilized at planting???

how are they watered [besides the pool water].... when are they watered ..

what is your soil type... how was it amended ....

where are you precisely ... what big city.. what is your zone ...

and anything else you can tell us.. other than they are browning ... how big are they???

ken

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

oh.. and how secure are you on that ID????

ken

• sirius1111
    13 years ago

I have 9 cypress trees in my back yard 7 of them are losing branchces from about 2 feet from the bottom. What could cause this. i live in Las vegas Nevada

• salicaceae
    13 years ago

Most likely either Cercosporidium (foliar blight) or Seiridium canker. Both are ubiquitous on Italian cypress in the south.

• genesmasher
    12 years ago

I have a similar problem with a couple of my "Tiny Tower" dwarf variety italian cypress trees. The branches seem to decay from the inside out - needles/leaves brown up and fall apart. There doesn't seem to be an obvious insect infestation. This is in San Diego, mild climate. I also have a 20 tall italian cypres trees in my yard, which seem to be OK. Any suggestions ?

{{gwi:493726}}

• pineresin
    12 years ago

Yours is insect damage, you can see all the insect droppings stuck to the foliage.

Resin

• genesmasher
    12 years ago

Hmm. Considering the amount of damage, I would expect to see the culprit. There are no insects present - large or small, no larvae either. It is probably Cercospora ...

• pineresin
    12 years ago

Look just above left of the centre of the pic (just below right of the pale broken-off twig), you can see a moth pupa or the remains of one. That's the culprit (or one of them). The caterpillars would have been eating the foliage some time ago; I'd suspect the adult moths will have hatched out and flown off by now.

Resin

• salicaceae
    12 years ago

Agreed - you can see the frass everywhere. It is an insect on the 'Tiny Tower'.

• Blyss
    11 years ago

How does one go about killing the insects and saving the trees?

• Lisa Hodge
    7 years ago

acephate